• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel tank pressure?

garrettd991

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 with 4.0 H.O. Sometimes while driving long distances the cab will get a strong fuel vapor smell then soon after it will spit and sputter then die. Everytime this happens I go and open my gas cap and a huge release of pressure comes out :passgas:. If I wait a couple of minutes and the jeep will fire but after 50 or so miles the same thing happens again. The tank being full or empty, speed or operating temp seems to affect the issue. It did seem to happen alot more when I was pulling a boat. I checked for fuel leaks at the injectors and the tank but found nothing.

I would leave the gas cap loose and see if the same issue happened. If it does, then you know its not related to the tank pressure and it might just be a sensor issue (like the crank position sensor).

It doesn't do it if the gas cap is loose but that would just confirm that the pressure is releasing from the filler neck not the vent system. Is there some kind of one way valve on the vent system that could fail. Also no codes are coming up when the problem happens.

Not sure bout a 96, but newer cars have a purge valve that vents the evap system which includes the fuel tank, when certain peremeters are met. But they usually throw an evap fault code.

Back