• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This leak is starting to tick me off....

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I broke the stub shaft on the passenger side of my disconnect 30.
I replaced it with a solid one piece shaft, and installed the seal mentioned in the FAQ, CR # 11771 I believe. It leaks like I didn't even put it in. Does it not go where the original tube seal went? I even took it back apart and put in a second seal to hope for double duty! What can I do to stop this? I prefer to drive my xj over any of the cars I have.
I even put bearing grease on the seals and the part of the shaft they touch to try and slow it down. No dice, so I stuffed a buttload of plastic bags into the little housing where the actual CAD went, which did help, but was just a last ditch effort before a 500 mile road trip, which is happening right now, and has me topping off every 100 miles or so.

the 11771 should be installed in the right side of the diff housing where there was no seal in the OEM format, not in the the disconnect housing. Installing the seal requires dropping the diff assembly out.

the 11771 should be installed in the right side of the diff housing where there was no seal in the OEM format, not in the the disconnect housing. Installing the seal requires dropping the diff assembly out.
sweet. This was going to be my next move. Last time i did this to an xj I put it where i did this one, and it didn't leak. does it just tap into the tube on the other side of the passenger side carrier bearing?
thanks for your help!

no, it doesnt always fit. there are several different tube inner diameters, no way of knowing what you have. mine was like 2.068 or something oddball, i ended up having to bore it out quite a bit since any seal diameter even close was too small. many people report having to dremmel the axle tube a bit to fit. i find the little sanding drum to be the best.
if you have some dial callipers, i'd measure the tube id to save yourself a few trips to the auto parts store.

I had to dremel mine out... still leaked because I probably screwed up.

thanks for the heads up, guys! i'll tear into it here in a couple of hours. i wanted to get my old volkswagen going before i tore into the jeep, incase i needed to go somewhere before it was done. i don't get many days off anymore, so i better make the most of the ones i do get. i'll be wrenching deep into the night tonight, and some more tomorrow, and probably working on something else wednesday before work. i have way too many projects. at least the xj will be done for a while once i fix this leak tonight....

if you have to dremel it out, put some green loctite around the seal to help it.

UDATE:
i just now had time to mess with this whole deal today. i've been driving this whole time and just topping it off every couple of days.
today i took the whole axle apart, tapped the seal into the tube right there at the pumpkin, and put it back together. i didn't have to dremel anything, it just tapped right in, and now it doesn't leak! woohoo!
now i can go wheelin again...

Back