• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield removal

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a good procedure for pulling a windshield?

Note: I want to use it, not sweep up the pieces. I have a good nearly new windshield in my 94 parts jeep and want it for my 96 that needs one.

Buy the throw-away windshield removal tool that most auto parts stores sell. Cut the sealant and remove the glass.

Removing it on a sunny and warm day will be easier. Either way, it does take some effort.

My experience is that about half the time you can get the windshield out. Be extremely careful, especially if you have and pitting or stars.

how about putting it back in? I have a brand spanking new windshield sitting in my garage and 2 massive cracks in the one in the XJ. I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it but paranoid that I won't get it to seal right and waste a perfectly good windshield :eyes:

Any tips or writeups you can point me to that are XJ specific? all i have experience with is older cars with gasketed windshields.

With a unibody vehicle, you get the best results by hiring a professional installer. Installing the windshield isn't plug and play like the side windows.

I have had good success using wire fishing leader(80# test). Push a 10" piece through on a straight section and the attach a set of vice grips on each end of the wire. Put someone inside and you on the outside and start sawing. You may snap a few wires and I recommend you protect the paint around the windshield with a couple of layers of masking tape. The lower end near the dash and the lower corners are the hardest part.

The pros use a special die-grinder saw type tool that cuts the urethane without bothering the paint or the glass.

Moral of the story, if you can afford a pro, hire one for this job. If you can't afford a pro then give it a go yourself.

Note; of the 4 or so windsheilds I have removed on XJ's/MJ's there is at least one section that is not sealed(thus leaks) from the factory. If you can find that spot a wire will slip right through it. Its usually the top pass side corner. Make sure you clean and prep the new sealing surface on the body before installing the new glass. Remember, the urethane is only as strong as the surface that it has to sick to!

Last edited:
I've worked for two HUGE autoglass Co. over the years, if you have the proper tools IT'S EASY. If you don't, spend $ to have the glass removed/installed.

sounds like im spending the dough, shouldn't be too bad since i already have the glass. thanks for the advice guys. :cheers:

Good advice on letting the pro install it.

Special urethane adhesives and primers required as well as proper technics for a safe install.

FWIW, the windshield is part of the body structure and performs a vital roll in your families safety. Not a project for "Uncle Bob":wave1:

Back