• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokee is overheating under a load going up over a mountain pass

stopman

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1990 cherokee with the aw4 with 35s and manually controlled electric fans i can not figure out why it tends to overheat under a load for long perionds of time. i driving down the road like a normal car it stays coool When i wheel and rockcrawl it stays cool, the transmission line feed to the radiator, could the transmission fluid be getting to hot and the radiator cant keep it cool enough, or could my torque convertor be slipping, does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong

I thought dual 97+ efans would be enough to cool my xj on 33's, but they didn't cover enough of the radiator, and there ended up being a huge gap of coverage in the middle of the radiator. Also, my winch is right in that spot.

I replaced the extra fan with the stock mechanical setup, and its much better.

I'm afraid of being stranded with a blown relay or something too, the mechanical setup is more reliable.

Only posting b/c I had the same problem...when I installed a new 10-blade electric fan, I wired it backwards! DoH!! It felt like it was pulling but I never really tested it with a piece of paper or a rag on the front of the radiator to see if it sucked or pushed.

Since you have dual e-fans, make sure they are wired to pull outside air through the radiator. Mine was pulling with the mechanical fan and then pushing with the aux fan creating a wicked recycling of hot air and never allowing the thing to cool down.

Make sure your Torque Converter is locking. At highway speed, bump the brakes and you should see the RPM's jump as the TQ unlocks. If it's not locking on the freeway, it could cause significant heat build up.

i have a 1990 cherokee with the aw4 with 35s and manually controlled electric fans i can not figure out why it tends to overheat under a load for long perionds of time. i driving down the road like a normal car it stays coool When i wheel and rockcrawl it stays cool, the transmission line feed to the radiator, could the transmission fluid be getting to hot and the radiator cant keep it cool enough, or could my torque convertor be slipping, does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1090314

So many questions you left unanswered...

But, yeah, the stock set-ups work as designed.

Does it have stock gears?

a new fan clutch and mechanical fan with a shroud would do a lot to help fix that.

then proper 4.88 gears for those 35's.

Back