• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ: 87 Wagoneer - Display Module?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
What are the steps to find out why my display-module is not working? Thanks in advance!

Today002_zps68cb2ca1.jpg

Picture is blurry, but if that's the little plastic housing between the sun visors; then that should be the receiver for a factory Remote key FOB to unlock the doors.

I was able to replace the old factory one with this little guy Ebay .

First... I thought it was a display like in my Grand Wagoneer for temp/direction. So nothing is to display in it? It's just a receiver?

Picture is blurry, but if that's the little plastic housing between the sun visors; then that should be the receiver for a factory Remote key FOB to unlock the doors.

I was able to replace the old factory one with this little guy Ebay .

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you! I know these questions seem simple. But I'm just getting started with the restoration and there is a lot new to me!

I'm off to purchase the module/remote you referred to.

Also... My associated cover for this is busted... Any change you know where I can get a replacement?

Thank you again! Crist

If we are talking about the same box as the last picture from this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244800922 . Then yes its just the IR receiver for keyless entry.

Dont think XJs got a ceiling mounted Temp/Compass readout until the 90's.

Plastic lens cover... Sourced!

Firyls: Suggestions/Instructions Needed!

I have the new/replacement unit.... Suggestions/instructions on how to install?

I'm surprised there Isnt a write up on that. Its pretty easy.

1.) Disconnect the battery. (there's a constant 12v going to the keyless entry module, easier to disconnect so you don't blow any fuses)

2.) Unscrew both visor clips, once you do that the plastic housing should pull away from the roof lining.

3.) Disconnect the old keyless entry module, and remove it. You should be left with 4 wires and a connector, just cut the connector away from the 4 wires.

4.) The 4 wires should be Black, Pink, Green, and Brown. Black = GND, Pink = 12v, Green = Lock, Brown = Unlock. If you put the 12v to green it will lock, if you put 12v to brown it unlocks.

5.) The module you ordered is a basic wireless controller thats controlling 2 Relays, your going to use one button/relay to lock the doors, the second button/relay to unlock the doors.

6.) Wiring it should be like in this image:

keyfobq.jpg

Note That 12v needs to be supplied to 3 locations, so you will need jumper wires or a way to split your pink 12v across 3 locations. Assuming the module you ordered is the same and the manufacturer hasn't changed it much in the last year since I did mine, this setup should let the the grey button on the key FOB to unlock, and the red button to lock.

7.) At this point you can reconnect the battery to test, and if it works you can put the plastic housing back in.

If the wiring is different in your jeep, or the wireless controller you ordered is slightly different than mine then I would proceed with caution and you may need slightly alter things.

If you have slow/resistant/Sluggish power locks on some doors, this mod works wonders: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=11487

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed instructions! Stay tuned! Crist

I'm surprised there Isnt a write up on that. Its pretty easy.

1.) Disconnect the battery. (there's a constant 12v going to the keyless entry module, easier to disconnect so you don't blow any fuses)

2.) Unscrew both visor clips, once you do that the plastic housing should pull away from the roof lining.

3.) Disconnect the old keyless entry module, and remove it. You should be left with 4 wires and a connector, just cut the connector away from the 4 wires.

4.) The 4 wires should be Black, Pink, Green, and Brown. Black = GND, Pink = 12v, Green = Lock, Brown = Unlock. If you put the 12v to green it will lock, if you put 12v to brown it unlocks.

5.) The module you ordered is a basic wireless controller thats controlling 2 Relays, your going to use one button/relay to lock the doors, the second button/relay to unlock the doors.

6.) Wiring it should be like in this image:

keyfobq.jpg

Note That 12v needs to be supplied to 3 locations, so you will need jumper wires or a way to split your pink 12v across 3 locations. Assuming the module you ordered is the same and the manufacturer hasn't changed it much in the last year since I did mine, this setup should let the the grey button on the key FOB to unlock, and the red button to lock.

7.) At this point you can reconnect the battery to test, and if it works you can put the plastic housing back in.

If the wiring is different in your jeep, or the wireless controller you ordered is slightly different than mine then I would proceed with caution and you may need slightly alter things.

If you have slow/resistant/Sluggish power locks on some doors, this mod works wonders: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=11487

Back