• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rugged Ridge 1 ton steering

rockchucker

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased this kit and it worked ok for about 300 miles of on road driving and the first offroad trip all the ball joints started poping and blew all the rubber boots to pieces. :sure:I contacted the people I bought this kit from and they say they have sold a bunch and not had any problems. I had the steering kit installed at a buddy's shop since he has an alignment rack. Four hours later the steering wheel is straight for a second, then you turn and it rolls the rods on the ball joints and my alignment is messed up again. I have a bit of slop in the system and I am ready to ditch the whole pile of crap. :smsoap:please let me know if you have had the same issues with this kit. Has anyone put in a OTK kit from Iron rock offroad. This kit is beefy and has heim joints not ball joints.

you are referring to tie rod ends i believe, not balljoints. the balljoints hold the knuckle to the axle housing.

all OTK 1 ton setups have a roll point before they start turning the wheels, they really arent reccomended for street driving because of this. they are notorious for having a huge dead spot in the middle.

JCR cures this by selling a poly spacer to put around the shaft of the TRE on the passenger side, but a lot of force is applied to it and they wear out pretty regularly if you're driving the jeep all the time. I got so fed up with spacers wearing out i sold the setup and went with heim jointed steering.

Back