• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Steering Upgrade?

Red91Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. Pretty soon I'll be needing to replace the tie rod, drag link and tie rod ends in my '91 XJ as they are getting worn. The Jeep is on 31's and is mostly a daily driver but will see occasional off road use so I'm looking to upgrade to something better than stock. I've looked at most of the various aftermarket options (Currie, IRO, etc) but they're just way too expensive for my budget and probably way overkill for my needs. The ZJ tie rod seems like the way to go for the price and my intended use, paired with a new XJ drag link. I can get those parts plus two new outer TRE's for about $190 shipped. Looking at using Moog stuff with a lifetime warranty. Thoughts?

I was also hoping to flip the tie rod to the top of the knuckle for extra clearance. Can I do this with the ZJ tie rod? What additional parts are needed and what is the procedure for that mod? Is it worth doing? Will it have any effect on steering feel? I don't want dead spots in the steering or any other weird side effects since I drive on the street so much.

Lastly I'm thinking I'll replace the original 165k mile steering stabilizer. I know some say they're not needed, but with all the highway driving I do I figure it can't hurt. The roads here are often in bad shape and a new stabilizer isn't expensive... I'm just not sure which one to get. IRO sells a Tenneco one they claim is good, I was also looking at a RE stabilizer just because I like my RE lift, both are under $40. Or there are lots of other choices. Any thoughts on that?

Any help is appreciated, I'm hoping to get my steering issues sorted out before a 12hr road trip I have planned for next month...

Last edited:
the zj steering is a good choice. but i think if youre already gona spend close $200, take a look at the serious offroad kit. get rid of that crappy y design. i'm only on 31s and 3" lift, but may go w/that when the time comes.

At one point I was where you were, and I searched high and low for a second hand 1ton setup only because I didn't feel like replacing those small TRE's a few months down the road. So I came across a good used 1ton setup(UTK) and bought a reamer, 1 year later it's still on there and haven't had any issues with it and my steering seems more respnsive.

Back