• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major electrical issue!!

303jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 cherokee sport, 4.0 automatic and tried to replace the front factory speakers and found that they had no power going to speakers. So I started to chase the wires back looking for any issues, checking fuses and connections every where. Know car won't start, tried jumping battery, still nothing. Replaced battery and still nothing. By nothing I mean no click no dash lights no nothing! The only items that are working is the dome light and rear brake lights. I've checked every fuse I could find and every connection I can think of but I am not having any success. Has anybody had a similar issue or know what may be going on?

Did you get all the fuses and relays back in the correct spots ?

Sounds like a low voltage issue from:

• leaving the lights on
• a failing battery
• a failing alternator
• dirty or loose wire connections
• internally corroded battery wires

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Exchange the ASD relay with the Starter relay in the fuse box under the hood near the battery.

Wiggle the automatic transmission lever in both Park and Neutral while trying to start. If it starts, you need to clean or replace the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS).

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

Im pulling alternator and starter tonight will also clean check and clean systems like suggested. Looking at my asd relay it is much larger then the ignition relay and aren't interchangeable but I did try switching ignition with comparable one as well. Thanks

Were you poking around with the junction boxes underneath the dash (drivers side) by chance? I'm talking about the plastic ones that have a bolt in the middle and that pretty much every component inside the Jeep runs through. I've had similar issues in the past after doing some electrical work. After lots of tracing and a fair amount of panic, I finally figured out those boxes weren't connected back in all the way. It was weird in that my keyless entry and dome lights would work, but literally nothing else would.

It's also when I got a crash course in which components are on what circuit lol.

If you are not getting any gauge lights, radio, blower fan, windows, turn signals, ect. when you turn the key on then it's definitely not your alternator or the starter. The first place I would check is the two main systems power fuses in the PDC under the hood. Should be fuses #2, and #3. They are both 40A. Next I would check the large connector on the drivers side under the dash (C101) to see if you knocked it loose. IIRC there's a bolt holding it together, but it still could have come loose.

As for the speaker wires in the front doors. Just run new ones. It's common for them to go bad in the boot where they flex with opening and closing of the door.

Still no success....starter and alternator are good (had them tested), replaced ASD relay, triple checked all fuses and cleaned all grounds. Checked power from battery to PCD, PCD to junction box and everything in between, everything seems to be getting power.Also double checked both large connectors under the dash and in the junction box. Unfortunatlly im not getting anything still. But did discover that the hazard lights work....lol....not sure where to go from here? Could it be the computer? Could it be a factory anti theft system?

Where in CO r u located? U may want to post up in the Colorado chapter forum and someone would probably be more than happy to lend u a hand. There is a lot of overly experienced Xj fanatics out here.

^^Good question that, there is help available.

To your original problem of the speakers not working, the late (97+) XJs have a well earned reputation of breaking the speaker wires in the conduit between the doors and the body. Over the years, the combination of the wires being flexed plus the coice of really cheap small gauge wire allows them to break.

A common problem right up there with the HVAC leaking water due to the cowl seal breaking down.

I had both issues with this '98 I have.

The speaker issue was solved, permanently, by installing a set of Q Logic kick panel speakers. The cowl, still leaking, needs to get a better resolution than I tried.

If you are any where near the Springs, send a PM.

Back