• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help!! Power Cutting Off

foo103

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 97 xj and have been having a pretty obnoxious problem recently. On several occasions, as I turn the key in the ignition the power to the car completely shuts off. If I disconnect the battery and let it sit for a minute then it cranks right up. I have a few theories but am really at a loss. Could it be some sort of security system getting tripped? Bad terminals? I don't think it's the battery as its relatively new.. I can't figure out any distinctive pattern so it's hard to narrow it down to any specific cause. If anyone has had this issue before or has any insight it'd be very useful as this is becoming a pretty serious problem. Please let me know!

Seems like a low voltage issue from:

• leaving the lights on
• a failing battery
• a failing alternator
dirty or loose wire connections
• internally corroded battery wires

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Exchange the ASD relay with the Starter relay in the fuse box under the hood near the battery.

Wiggle the automatic transmission lever in both Park and Neutral while trying to start. If it starts, you need to clean or replace the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS).

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.

Back