• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Booster Help!!

bmsmalley

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ that I just did the D35 disc brake upgrade on, went off smoothly. Went to upgrade the power booster and master cylinder (followed writes I have found in here) out of a 95 ZJ and the rod is much shorter. Do I have the wrong power booster/master cylinder?

Is the power booster/master cylinder out of a 00' or 01' a dual diaphram? will it/would it be a better swap?

If I missed some info to help you let me know and I will fill in any blanks.

I always use a booster/mc out of a 96 XJ. With some very slight mods to the rod it fits perfect on the older models, even the RENIX years.

Thx xjtrailrider....i will give that a try. Were you able to use the same proportioning valve?

No, you need the ZJ prop valve or at least the guts out of it. There is a cap on the prop valve that can be removed, under that is a spring. Use the spring from the ZJ prop valve for the rear disc to work properly.

Not to threadjack, but I plan to do this mod also but I'm unsure if this will affect the operation of the factory ABS (1989). Can anyone enlighten me?

Not to threadjack, but I plan to do this mod also but I'm unsure if this will affect the operation of the factory ABS (1989). Can anyone enlighten me?

The RENIX years ABS is flat out junk! I recommend if you are going to upgrade the BB/MC to also eliminate the BENDIX ABS and re-plumb the brakes. Its not a difficult job, just a bit tedious. You will thank your self later when you actually have brakes! Then add the ZJ rear discs and then you have sports car braking.

it's going to require a complete change anyway-- the Bendix ABS doesn't use a vacuum brake booster at all, IIRC. You'll want the pedal support, pedal, MC, and BB to get everything fitting correctly at the dash. You'll also need the proportioning valve and assorted brake lines to get to the wheels without the ABS craptastic parts in the way.

Nooooo, not as expensive as you might think. I live in Houston and the pick a park yards here have half off sales on holidays and I got EVERYTHING I needed for the the rear disc conversion for $55 !!! Do some research and it can be done cheaply.

Back