• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That CPS again

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So I think mine died, its a 93 and totally different than the 2 I have which are from my 89. Is there a way to test it? Or should I be calling Orilleys?? I have good turn over, fuel pressure in the rail, just wont start. Cap looked good, plugs are ok. Or it might be the coil. But its an XJ so im going with the CPS.

Probably CPS..

That's about the ONLY part on XJ's that still to this day i only buy from the dealer..

And to remove mine me & Daryl had it out in about 20 minutes. Now putting it back in..... I will let you how that goes!!

Huh I'm having the same issue. Just replaced it about 1 1/2 wks ago. With a Borg Warner. And today started doing it again. Had it running for about 20 seconds then died. I'm kinda ruling out the CPS though. What would cause the CPS to keep going out?

Im not sure why it go out. No moving parts, just an electrical signal. I read where dirt & oil will make them not read the fly wheel. But how you can install one and it works then goes bad...... Not sure. Unless its something to do with the computer or when the signal comes from. Im sure someone will know more about this.

Huh I'm having the same issue. Just replaced it about 1 1/2 wks ago. With a Borg Warner. And today started doing it again. Had it running for about 20 seconds then died. I'm kinda ruling out the CPS though. What would cause the CPS to keep going out?

The Hall effect pick up coil in the distributor will make them go out. When I changed mine a week later it wouldn't start again. I did some Internet research and found a few people that stated that you should change the hall effect pick up coil in the distributor at the same time. I tested it and sure enough it was bad. Bought a new one from dodge, installed it and all my problems were solved. I guess the two work in tandem and if ones bad will take out the other.

The Hall effect pick up coil in the distributor will make them go out. When I changed mine a week later it wouldn't start again. I did some Internet research and found a few people that stated that you should change the hall effect pick up coil in the distributor at the same time. I tested it and sure enough it was bad. Bought a new one from dodge, installed it and all my problems were solved. I guess the two work in tandem and if ones bad will take out the other.

What and where is this located?
I figured out today that the Jeep side of the plug/connector is bad. While my Jeep was running, I was messing with the wired and it died. If I set the connector just right it would start again. Then messed with the wires again with it running, then died again. So going to but a new connector and try it out

Well here is the update!! Me & Alicia installed a new CPS, not to bad. about 35 minutes start to finish. Connected it up, turned the key and WAM!!! Nothing. So tracked down 40 psi or gas, but no spark. Not even in a dark garage. So in the spirit of fixing a Cherokee, I will buy a new coil. I was already doing new plugs,cap, rotor & wires. So now I will have all this new and a new coil. If that doesn't work, look for my jeep in the for sale section next week:patriot:

Maybe like mine. The CPS connector on the Jeep side has a loose wire. You can buy connectors on eBay for around $7. If mine doesn't start I just mess with the wires and fires up

Well here is the update!! Me & Alicia installed a new CPS, not to bad. about 35 minutes start to finish. Connected it up, turned the key and WAM!!! Nothing. So tracked down 40 psi or gas, but no spark. Not even in a dark garage. So in the spirit of fixing a Cherokee, I will buy a new coil. I was already doing new plugs,cap, rotor & wires. So now I will have all this new and a new coil. If that doesn't work, look for my jeep in the for sale section next week:patriot:

Test this part most likely your problem. I thought my coil was bad also but it wasn't.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...1180178_3542&keyword=ignition+pickup!s!stator

Well I did the CPS, plugs, wires, cap & rotor and a new coil. Got it all hooked it all up and it fired right up. So one of the items or maybe a couple were bad. Dave, what is that part??? or what is it for? But the jeep seems to be running great. The old plugs had almost no electrode, the cap had a crud on all the connector pins. It was time for a full on tune up.

Well I did the CPS, plugs, wires, cap & rotor and a new coil. Got it all hooked it all up and it fired right up. So one of the items or maybe a couple were bad. Dave, what is that part??? or what is it for? But the jeep seems to be running great. The old plugs had almost no electrode, the cap had a crud on all the connector pins. It was time for a full on tune up.

Glad to here you got it running. It's basically a cam position sensor, it's found inside the distributor. I thought for sure that would be the problem, but at least it's running.

Back