• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj cps wiring kit

natixj

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen some threads on here about a wiring kit for older xj crank position sensor. I have a 98 xj 4wd I6, and im having problem with the cps it keeps throwing a code and the cel comes on. I replaced it with different brands of cps sensors, and still throwing codes. It runs ok there is a slight miss at idle but may be from plugs or wires. I have traced the wires back as far as I can but they get lost in the main harness with similar color wires and I cant follow any more. I seen posts about older xj cps low voltage problems and they talked about a kit to eliminate the problem. I was wondering if the same kit will work or if there is a different one for the 98.
This is what I found for the 88 xj on other post PN 83-100-066 Crank Position Sensor Patch

Thanks for any help,

Ben

Specifically, what CEL codes are you downloading ? Are you using using a genuine Jeep CPS or some crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" parts ?

What testing makes you think there is a CPS wiring issue or lack of proper voltage ?

Last edited:
The older kit will not work, different connector style. If you look in the connector do you see any corrosion or dirt? If you do, clean it out.

Have you checked to make sure the transmission bellhousing bolts are tight? What are the exact codes you get? I have personally never seen a cps throw a code though I have seen a cam position sensor throw one and the fsm/parts sellers/code descriptions don't always make it clear which "cps" or "ckp" they are talking about.

I cant remember which code number it was at the moment, but it was for the crankps it also said it had a weak signal. The sensors that I have bought were from KOI auto parts, I started with the less expensive one and took it back and I have tried all of the other ones they have. It now has the oem one from the dealer and still the same problem. The light didnt start coming on until after I put a rebuilt motor in. I checked all the wiring to see if there is anyting pinched cut or not connected, made sure the ground straps were on and not corroded. I checked the cps connections to make sure it is clean and tight to bellhousing and harness. I believe there is a short somewhere after I loose the wires in the main harness. I want to try and run new wires or install a wire kit like the older ones, or piggyback the wires at the ecu and run some new directly to the sensor. I had the dealer check the codes and they are the ones that told me about the weak signal, but if I clear the cel I can drive around for 20-30 miles until it comes back on. If I clear the cel and start the car and turn it off and back on a few times the cel will come back on with the same codes, which leads me to a short somewhere in the wiring.

Thanks

Without the exact code or codes, all anybody can do is pretty much guess. Weak signals doesn't really describe a specific problem.

Since you mention a rebuilt motor, damage to the wiring harness, or failed wire splices come to mind as common sense possibilities. Test continuity of the sensor wires.

The crank position sensor wire goes to the ecu- Connector 1 black, pin8, GY/BK.
You can check continuity to there.
Pin17, OR, is 5v supply.

I'm curious whether the engine and trans are bolted together securely - if they were not torqued correctly or the bellhousing or engine mating surfaces were dirty it can result in the bolts coming loose, which results in bad cps to flexplate alignment even if the sensor is securely mounted to the bellhousing.

I checked the bolts on the bellhousing to engine multiple times when I put it back together. Kind of ocd about that since I had a problem with a private shop install performed in the past on another car of mine, warranty work performed at the dealer only put four of the eight bolts connecting the trans to engine and they were hand tight.

Yikes! Good to know that's covered at least.

Back