• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for my first xj

hotrodford88

NAXJA Forum User
hi everyone im 24 and looking for my first xj. i found one at a local dealer for 5500 its an 01 with 112000mi in perfect looking shape. i dont think its ever been off road. stone stock with small street tires. what do yall think? is this a good deal? what should i check on it before i buy it? what are common probs? all input is apreciated. this is gonna be my first jeep. ive had a few full size fords before. so i know a lil. but notthing jeep specific. thanks

no for 6/99 to the end of 2001. they have the "0331 head"
1997 to 6/99 are the most wanted years.
and don't pay more then $3500 for ANY XJ. so many to choose from.

Interesting, I thought the 0331 head-ache was just 2001. Learn something every day.

I prefer the 87-90 jeeps, Renix, they never seem to rust if they were kept away from salt. Getting hard to find here in Houston, but I landed one in tip top shape for just $500, 8 weeks ago. All it needed was some AC system work and a brake Master cylinder. Took a year to find one that nice....kinda stumbled into it.

My 87 hit the 25 year old mark and is now emission gestapo inspection exempt!!!! Getting hard to find any thing for under $2000 in Houston unless you push it home and do major engine, trans and or body work on it.

96 to 98 were great years too, followed buy 91-95.

When inspecting 2001 models listen for a hiss coming from somewhere up front around 30 mph up to 45.

That would be front differential carrier bearings self destructing.

Both my 2001 units have had this defect. First one got rebuilt under warranty at 34k. Second one didn't fail until 50k and was fixed at my expense.

Ideally you'd like to pull the front diff cover and look for metal in the drainings but the salesguy would have a cow if you did that in front of him. If you do the old "take it to my mechanic" routine if he does nothing else for you, he should do this check. Diff work isn't cheap.

(On my second unit the local Jeep dealer decided they'd rather misdiagnose the problem to get more money. They claimed I had a bad rear axle and a bad front ujoint which they'd be happy to fix for me. DESPITE my telling them I got metal out of the front AND that I'd had the exact same symptoms on my other unit, which THEY fixed for me 5 years earlier.)

I have had many different years of XJ's, from 88 to 2000 and I have liked the two 97 models that I have had the best(that includes a 90k miles 99) Don't know why but my old 97 with 280k miles and my new to me 97 country with 140k miles (daily Driver) both have got a consistent 20-21 mpg highway with 31"s and a 3" lift. That is no bs and hand calculated many times. City MPG is a consistent 17 mpg. Both had great ac and heat and have never had any trouble except a cps and a temp sending unit.

whats wrong with 0331 head? and around here ragged xjs go for 1500. anything 4x4 that runs goes for 1500.lol. this jeep im looking at has 112000mi and i really donth think its ever been offroad. no marks of any kind underneath. sitting on 225/60/16 street tires. no dents perfect paint. perfect interior.

The 0331 head is notorious for cracking. There was TSB on them IIRC. There is a factory defect in them.

I guess I'm weird in that I'd recommend getting the newest/least abused model you can find. However, I rarely go offroad and am fairly diligent with maintenance...

Mine was a previous Avis rental when I got it at 57k. I have 141k now and the only major thing to go wrong was the A/C compressor bearing taking a dump.

On a 2000/2001 model i highly suggest you pull the oil filler cap and peek around inside at the rockers and the the head (look for cracks and sludge too, while you're at it). Check for good service records and on the test drive be sure you get it up to highway speeds, with the radio off of course! :D

thanks for all the info guys. i forgot to mention that on that 5500 price they are giving me 1500 trade in for my old and ragged 93 f150 work truck. so im not payin the full 5500.

You will almost always get a better deal from a private party NOT from a dealer. Where i live $5500 for that year and millage is a good price. "Pay" to have a local shop that specialized in Jeeps check it out. If it checks out and you determine it to be a good value for your area then talk turkey with the dealer. Work it and get him down on price. Walk away if you haft to. At least get him down $500bucks.
Still if you want to upgrade it or really off road it hold out for a 97-99.5 with HP dana 30 front end, NP231 T-case and 8.25 rear end. Whatever you do don't buy any XJ with a Dana 35 rear end. I've seen thous fail with small street radials and no offloading. Good luck and have fun!

Back