• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring & Pinion Sources

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
When I swap from 3.55 to 4.10 (31") in the D30 and 8.25" I want a quality gear set, built in the USA preferred if not manditory. I've used US Gear in my muscle car but not finding what I need there.

Can you point me to a good supplier of US made gearsets, please?

I'd also like to hear options on lockers (front and/or rear - I've read the discussions on why f or r so will determine which later if I don't do both). Just like to hear the options on lockers w/o spending the huge bucks for air lockers, etc.

Thanks.

Gary

go with ARB and never look back.

I am running spicer gears and am happy.

although if I had to do it again I would go with Yukon's from Robert (rwkhaussupply)

National drivetrain is another good one

I have purchased a gear set and install from rwk, and had no complaints in the 3-4 years since

Thanks guys.. now which rear end is my 8.25"? Reverse rotation or not?
It's stock '99. Maybe you can tell me how to determine rotation please.

Gary

I'd also like to hear options on lockers (front and/or rear - I've read the discussions on why f or r so will determine which later if I don't do both). Just like to hear the options on lockers w/o spending the huge bucks for air lockers, etc.

Thanks.

Gary

Eaton (Detroit), Tru-trac, Power.., soliciting opinions.
ARB is the business I guess but big bucks.

Can you tell me if the rear 8.25 is posi/limited slip? I'll get the XJ off the ground tomorrow and find out.. both wheels spin same direction is limited slip/posi.. opposite is open.. at least in early 70s hot rods.

Thanks for your patience.

The easist way to tell if its limited slip is to pull the cover.
the true track is a ls, not a locker. I have a tt on my stret car and love it, but would nit spend that kind of money for a ls in the jeep.

Eunning an aussie up front, & the stock ls that came with the 8.8 rear. Works well for me

don't bother with an LS.

you won't regret an ARB, the detroit is not much cheaper.

I would have recommended the zip locker since you can get it from RWK, but they don't make one for the 8.25.

National lists 4.11 for 8.25" and 4.10 for the D30. Not an issue with .01 different gear ratios right?

Good info on the LS. Are the lockers worth a hoot in snow or on the street in snow? Or would I be running full time 'open' unless the locker is engaged?

Thanks.

Gary

National lists 4.11 for 8.25" and 4.10 for the D30. Not an issue with .01 different gear ratios right?

Good info on the LS. Are the lockers worth a hoot in snow or on the street in snow? Or would I be running full time 'open' unless the locker is engaged?

Thanks.

Gary

Not an issue on the gear difference of 0.01. You can easily go to 0.05 difference without issue. Your tire diameter difference from front to back is probably more than that.

Going from factory 225/75 @ 28" to 31 x 10.50 the 4.10 gets me closest to factory cruise rpm, low end torque. I plan to tow a 17' Alumaweld w/60 HP 4-stroke (guessing 3000# total?), not all that often, but up to 500 miles one way. I'm not sure I want to have the high rpm of 4.56 under normal cruise or if 4.56 will be a benefit when towing. Crawling is not a priority.

Make the case for 4.56 if you will. I'll not dismiss any suggestions.. that's why I asked.

Thanks.

Gary

Last edited:
IMHO i would go with the 4.56 gear sets since you plan to tow. you and your jeep will be happier on those grades. even with the 31" tires you shouldn't be revving too high. besides you don't want to be driving that fast towing anyhow. remember, 4.10s were a factory tow package option with stock size tires. so going all the way to 31" tires would almost make the 4.56s a no brainer.

I have Spicer 4.10 Gears and ARB lockers and am happy with both. Gears are nice and quiet, Some brands are not quiet. Your call.

Since you said cost is a factor, consider a TrueTrac for the front and maybe even the rear. I run one in the front and a regular Detroit locker in rear. Kicked the snot out of the Rubicon; there wasn't one place I struggled for traction. It's true the the TT isn't a locker but it is VERY effective and I think a little kinder to my D30. I like the rear Detroit Locker for it's simplicity and strength.

People love the TT in the rain, ice, snow, mud but criticize it for rock crawling only in wheel-in-air scenario. I run an auto tranny so it's super easy to compensate for by using a little brake. I drive 2 footed in the rocks anyways so it's no biggie to apply brakes to gain traction.

As to ratios, consider the possibility in the future you may want tires bigger than 31". I am running 33" with 4.88 ratio. Getting about 2350 RPM @ 65MPH. Very happy.

Back