• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase main shaft swap

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put an AX15 in my 87 that now has the 21 spline BA10. What would it take to swap the Tcase shaft if I have the 23 spine shaft. Is it just a strait swap? I’ve never been into one of these. How much work would it be, and what other parts would I need? If I got the 4to1 kit would it have all the parts I need.

The input is pretty straight forward. You'd be surprised, it's is not that hard to mess around with the inside of TC. All you really need is some sockets to open it up and a pair of snap ring pliers to finish the swap.

Are the parts compatible, and do I need anything other that the new shaft.

The input shaft is a straight swap, but it's position means the entire case will disassembled. It's simple, but you have to have a little confidence that you can put everything back exactly the way it came out. You also need a good set of lock ring pliers. Also, you can get a 4 to 1 with the correct 23 spline input shaft, just be sure to tell them it's a stick, the 23 spline automatics use a slightly longer input shaft.

If you don't already have the AX15, I do have one for sale with the t-case. We used it to replace a BA10 so it comes with the crossmember and trans mount modified to go in the same bolt holes as the BA10, otherwise you have to change the position of the crossmember on the frame. It also has a clutch, pressure plate, and internal slave/throwout bearing that are factory parts and one year old.

Back