• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ram assist questions

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I am almost ready to do my ram assist on my xj but have a few final questions. Heres my setup:
- tg 8"x2" ram, rebuilt and tapped box, large trans cooler for ps fluid, west texas style modded pump with psc pulley. redline synthetic ps fluid. I'll be running the ram from my ruffstuff front cover to ironrock otk steering rod via a tube clamp welded. I need to limit my ram 1.25" , ill be doing this externally with delrin.
heres my questions:
will I need additional resevoir capacity? most say stock with the cooler will be enough. idf so Ive seen someone add a heavy hose ( like hydralic hose) on the top of the plastic tank and put a cap on it for more capacity.
and a setup question. Am I fine to extend the ram fully with the steering to full lock right, mount it, check for swing interference and buzz it on? the trail gear instructions say to extend it 3" and mount it to your steering centered. but its also for a toyota setup.. (might be a stupid question but I dont want to make any mistakes)

I'm running a a 8"X2" ram also. everything else is bone stock. Ive driven this setup for a few thousand on road miles, and its been wheeled plenty over the last 4 years. never overheated it, or lost fluid for any reason.

build my exact same set up on 4 other jeeps and never had a problem. never needed a cooler, or additional reservoir capacity

as for making sure the ram is centered, Ive always turned the tires all the way one direction, and compressed, or extended the ram in the corresponding direction. tack it on, check how everything works, and finish welding it.

Back