• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ: Speedometer replacement help?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the speedometer cable out from the fire-wall direction and there is a 18" x 1/8" flex-cable on the back. Did I break something?

Mine is like that. You just pop it back in... you can reach from under the dash

Okay... Maybe I didn't slide the cable far enough into the sheath. I'll give it another try.

BTW: Nice build! :thumbup:

Mine is like that. You just pop it back in... you can reach from under the dash

So... The 18" speedometer cable slides into the round sheath and like magic it works? :dunno: Meaning it seems too simple to simply slide the cable into the sheath... Doesn't the cable have to connect to something? Or??? :confused1

The cable attaches at the t-case on the drive end. It's possible to pull too hard and separate the cable from the sheath. It should be tight on both ends. I hope you didn't just yank on it and expect it to come out.

It's attached to the back of the gauge cluster. Unless you detach it from the gauge cluster (press together and pull) I suppose the 1/8" cable could slide out of the sheath.

When it's put together right there is a square key at either end of the cable. The square key fits into the back of the speedo, and on/in to the speedo gear on the t-case.

Back