• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch advice

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
so i was made a deal i couldent refuse on a used winch. its a warn 8274. has some cable on it and is in working condition. missing the remote wire.

my delema is that the mounts for it are a front style. like throo the fairlead and then above it aswell. my bumper is ready for flat bottom winch like the m8000 and all the chinese made ones.

so should i make a plate and mod the wp bumper i have? or should i sell the winch in hopes of buying a replacement?

thaughts? let me have it...

Bronze.

Aren't they pretty heavy as well John. I would sell it and buy a used Warn. This is what I did my Smitty built found a good home with Josh, who btw needed one. I bought a used Warn 9.5 Ti, I love this winch, I found out after I bought it that it had hardly been used. The cable hadn't been stretched out, and the drum still had all its paint on it
I had to take it apart to wire in my in cab controller the inside looked just as good. Total cost 600.00 I sold my old winch for 150.00

Those 8274s suck big time, thats why an 8274-50 is $2500

I will do you a favor, and take it off your hands

If you want to sell that winch for 150, I call dibbs

Aren't they pretty heavy as well John. I would sell it and buy a used Warn. This is what I did my Smitty built found a good home with Josh, who btw needed one. I bought a used Warn 9.5 Ti, I love this winch, I found out after I bought it that it had hardly been used. The cable hadn't been stretched out, and the drum still had all its paint on it
I had to take it apart to wire in my in cab controller the inside looked just as good. Total cost 600.00 I sold my old winch for 150.00

Wow.. Thats a huge step up! The 9.5ti is the first winch i ever used.. Used to drive a Repo truck that had one..

the 8274 is a Very fast reliable winch, but i would still trade for something a little lower profile.. Jason is right, its a heavy winch..

Those 8274s suck big time, thats why an 8274-50 is $2500

I will do you a favor, and take it off your hands

If you want to sell that winch for 150, I call dibbs

no id need more than $50 proffit on this one :looser:.

the weight im not really worried about, i carried it around and its compareable to an m8000. trail ready my jeep is still @4200 lbs. if its one of the best winches ever, shouldt i keep it? other than the mount, and the weight. anything else?

Bronze

They are one of the best ever made, you got a steal if you only payed 100 for it.

You are pretty crafty mod the bumper to fit.

Like Scott stated super fast line speed, faster then my HS9500. That was the first winch I ever owned and now kinda wish I would have never sold it. Also in stock form they will hold 5 layers of 5/16 cable 150' if I remember. (That's where all the weight comes from) the speed comes from them being a spur gear driven instead of planetary gears. One thing they don't like to do is up close winching. When there on the 4th or 5th layer they don't have much power left and get slow also very hot. I always used a block tackle on the 4th&5th layers.

You know how old it is? The 8274-50 have more power because I believe there powered by a 4.6hp vs. older models 1.6

Google it and check out the cool shit you can do to them. They have all sorts of things from twin motors to water cooling.

I would sell it. You can sell it for a good price because alot of people want it for the very fast line speed. I have seen a good used one go for $1200. I would prefer the 9.5ti over the 8274-50 only because its still a very fast winch but is also strong no matter were you are on the drum. It also has a thermo witch is great protection. My vote is clean the 8274 up and sell it. Then buy a winch you really want after you do some research. But all that is coming from a guy that bought the cheapest winch on the market 7years ago. A mile marker its both loud and slow but has always been reliable.

I'd take an 8274 in a heartbeat. There's a reason you see them on the front of every enduro comp rig out there. The big thing I look for in winches is line speed. The last thing you want is to be driving over your cable/rope as your winch tries to keep up. The 8274 can spool in faster than some guys can run.

Verify that it's in good working order, or figure out what it needs (there's an abundance of info on 8274 overhauls out there). If you give it the thumbs up, bust out the card board and mod the bumper. Making a feet forward mount I wouldn't think would be too hard.

Then again, if you can turn it for a decent price...

warn told me that the front mount is stronger cuse your pulling aginst the winch base insted of trying to sheer off 4 bolts. ( I hope that makes cents) and thats why the (full body winches) BIG winches like the 12000 that I have mount that way.

well....im still torn. i think ill mount it to something and check everything out. it sounds as if i could keep it, or sell it for just enought to get a "new" m8000, or something in the new line of warn winches...

hmmmm, functonal or fashinable.dustin makes a good point on the line speed. and i bet i could clean it up real perdy :D

Bronze.

well....im still torn. i think ill mount it to something and check everything out. it sounds as if i could keep it, or sell it for just enought to get a "new" m8000, or something in the new line of warn winches...

hmmmm, functonal or fashinable.dustin makes a good point on the line speed. and i bet i could clean it up real perdy :D

Bronze.

The 8274-50 Has a dead weight pulling rating of 72ft/min
The M8000 Has a dead weight pulling rating of 42ft/min

At 4000lbs, the M8000 and the 8274 are Pretty much tied in speed. The 8274-50 does it with 10 less amps needed..

M8000 specs http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml
8274-50 specs http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8274-50.shtml

Here's a few more options to compare both of those units too..

9.5xp Specshttp://www.warn.com/truck/winches/95xp_winch.shtml
VR8 Specshttp://www.warn.com/truck/winches/VR8000_winch.shtml
9.5CTI Specshttp://www.warn.com/truck/winches/95cti_winch.shtml

That's if you dont have one of the older 8274's that had the 1.6hp motor vs the 4.6..

Last edited:
I have an 8274 on my XJ ,I like it ,I had it on my CJ 7 ,I had a 9000 on the XJ but it is now made into a portable {if your strong enough} I can put it on the rear receiver or for use on another vehicle with a receiver front or rear.

well i was able to spool it out, and in! i rewraped the cable today, and to be honist. i had a hard time keeping up with it, this thing flat moves. the clutch disengaged, the electric brake was flawless. im so stoked. im planing on building a brush guard/hoop for the top mount, reinforce/raise the fairlead mount on my current bumper for the lower mounts.

Bronze will have cable for winter!

:D

Back