• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wobble from left front... opinions?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My left front on my 98 2wd XJ has a wobble. Been there since I bought the Jeep. Thought it was an out of balance tire, and the tires were bald anyways so I replaced the wheels/tires. Still there. Jacked it up, moved the wheel around, sure felt like the left front wheel bearing is bad, so I replaced that (did a 1.5" lift at the same time as the tires were rubbing). Wobble is still there, albeit feels like less of a wobble than it used to be.

I'm planning to take it in tomorrow for an alignment, and I'll have them check that left front tire's balance (bought used and just threw them on), but other than that, what should I be looking at? Ball joints, TRE's?

I really don't want to invest much money in the 2wd beam since I'm planning a 4wd swap.

Its certainly not death wobble but enough to make me nervous that something's not right.

yep, balljoints or TRE would be the next guess, also take a look at the control arm bushings. drivers side upper at the axle end is usually the first to go.

yep, balljoints or TRE would be the next guess, also take a look at the control arm bushings. drivers side upper at the axle end is usually the first to go.

I remember doing those... Not fun.

Really anything but the tre's will lead to a d30... Easier to do it all on an axle not under the jeep, and a better use of cash

the bushings are easy, balljoints can be a pain in the ass without an impact gun to use on the balljoint press.

I've got an impact, i remember the bushings being hell to get back in last time.

lifted it up, threw the front axle on stands and just started shaking wheels

ball joints and TRE's look good

frame end of track bar... holy crap. significant movement when shaking the driver side wheel at 9 and 3. guess I need to get a new trackbar.

Thinking about this more, I need to try to tighten it first to see of that helps

Back