• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight conversion

OCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hello fellow NAXJA Members,
So after many years of driving with my dull, yellow, sealed beam lights i thought i would upgrade to some new ones.
To catch you up to speed I have been working on this jeep for about 2 years now. I work at oreilly auto parts and one day i was looking through the catalog and decided to buy some new lights through ANZO. they are 841004s and 7.5" by 5.5". It cost me 40 $ employee cost, and they have H4 bulbs in them. while i was waiting for my order to come in i was looking around to see if the conversions are compatible with the 3 terminal plug used for the H6054 sealed beams. and you can use the stock bracket to fit 7.5 X 5.5s SO just FYI if anyone is looking to do this if you get the H4 bulbs they are compatible with the stock harness, although upgrading the harness is a good idea to get some more brightness out of your lights. Below i will post some pictures of the products and the bitchin look they will give you to your XJ. I also bought some aftermarket sylvania bulbs to go with them to replace the H4s they came with. If you are in SO CAL and want to get some of these lights feel free to contact me. ENJOY!

Photoon2012-09-06at17072.jpg

Photoon2012-09-06at17073.jpg

Photoon2012-09-06at18172.jpg

Why are your pictures upside down?

Upgrading the harness will make any lights brighter.

What you really need to be aware of is the fact that the stock lamps, combined with the underengineered headlight wiring of an XJ, burned up headlight switches. Whaddya think those lights are gonna do at an accelerated rate? Oh, and guess when it's gonna fail? At night.

Upgrading the harness will make any lights brighter.

What you really need to be aware of is the fact that the stock lamps, combined with the underengineered headlight wiring of an XJ, burned up headlight switches. Whaddya think those lights are gonna do at an accelerated rate? Oh, and guess when it's gonna fail? At night.

But that worst-case scenario can be avoided by . . . ?

Upgrading the switch? Just leaving well enough alone? C'mon man, don't just leave us hanging. HOW DOES THE STORY END?

Secound that on the harness, they are pretty cheap and create worry free lighting.

But that worst-case scenario can be avoided by . . . ?

Upgrading the switch? Just leaving well enough alone? C'mon man, don't just leave us hanging. HOW DOES THE STORY END?

It ends happily if you buy this:

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--9003-Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Upgrade-Wiring-Harness-PRD7540.aspx

And do this:
Cruiser’s Headlight Upgrade Harness Instructions

Absolutely plug and play. Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side. Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness. Attach the new harness's ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it. Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side. . Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp. Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness. Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt. Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender. Connect power wires to battery.

Second the harness upgrade.

About the housings? Yeah they look good, but my experience says that the free form reflector type housings are junk. Not to be dogging on your shit. I'm just saying is all.
Personally if you have the money get CEBIE's if your on a budget get the Autopals. Complement them with a set of wide angle driving lights, and you'll have unbelievable high beams, and some damn good low beams!

That's the harness i've had in my Jeep for the past maybe 6-7 years and the projector lights . Paid a lot less back then though. Have not had any problems. Bright lights without being annoying to other drivers.

Some friendly advice: Any headlamp housings that look car show cool, or Ricer, are not going to be very good headlamps. They will throw stray light around and glare oncoming traffic.

Go with 100% glass H-4 headlamps. Cibie, Hella, IPF, or AutoPal, whatever your budget allows. Upgrade the XJ wire harness, use white lamps, not blue, and if you do not have State vehicle inspections, E-Code headlamps have a better light pattern than DOT approved headlamps.

Someone mentioned upgrading the switch. The relays take the power not the switch. The switch just connects the pwr to the relays and harness. Or am i wrong ?

Someone mentioned upgrading the switch. The relays take the power not the switch. The switch just connects the pwr to the relays and harness. Or am i wrong ?
The switch only turns the circuit on or off.
The relays protect the circuit by utilizing the on/off signal from the switch and send power (directly from the battery as opposed to through the stock wiring harness, which is it's major improvement) to the headlights.
There is an inherient flaw in the stock system, where the draw is too much on the circuit, thus causing switches to go out. The upgraded harness corrects this by taking the load off the stock wiring harness, and getting power directly from the battery.

The switch only turns the circuit on or off.
The relays protect the circuit by utilizing the on/off signal from the switch and send power (directly from the battery as opposed to through the stock wiring harness, which is it's major improvement) to the headlights.
There is an inherient flaw in the stock system, where the draw is too much on the circuit, thus causing switches to go out. The upgraded harness corrects this by taking the load off the stock wiring harness, and getting power directly from the battery.

Very well stated and exactly right.

Just FYI they look great at night time. Ill post some pics tonight. And they're ANZO! Great quality. All glass housings and great side road brightness. I know harness is a good idea and that's what's coming next, but DOT says 55w are legal and all you guys who run the 80/100s are going illegal. Just to let you know. Its a good upgrade and that's why they're so bright

Back