• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare on roof too heavy?

webby1987

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to get peoples opinions on if they feel that there rigs were more top heavy after mounting spare tire on roof rack? If you could please list the sizes your running w the answer. Thx

I definitely felt my 32x11.5R15 BFG A/T on a stock steelie up there. I'm much more comfortable with it in my trunk while it waits for a home on a custom rear bumper / tire carrier.

I felt the difference more after I took it back off of my roof rack.. I realized how I tippy my Jeep used to be.

Mine is mounted in the back on bumper carrier with jack and gas can as well. I wouldn't want all that weight on top. But with all that weight on the bumper it seems to make my rear slide on snow or steep muddy trails. But it also gives me good grip.

I ran mine on top for the first time in Moab this past year. I didn't mind it. It did seam a little more tippy but nothing scary. I had my wife and kids in the rig the whole time and i would never put them in harms way. Just my $02. I have a 35x12.50x15 on a steel wheels plus i also have my 60in high lift jack up there also. Mines the red one.

2012-03-29_12-28-40_205.jpg

I carry a 31 x 10.5 x 15 on my roof when I run and never felt like I had any problems with it at all.

I ran my 33x1050 up there for a while. didn't notice it, but It was ghetto, and the roof was bowed in with it up there.

I ran a 32x11.5" on a black steel wheel plus hi-lift jack on my Surco cargo rack. I think psychologically, the slightly increased center of gravity was in the back of my mind, but in practicality, it didn't cause me any problems. I try to not believe everything I think. It got some large heavy infrequently used equipment out of the inside of the jeep. Here's a picture:

IMG_1440.jpg

I had my stock full sized tire and steel wheel on my roof for a while. I never even noticed it. That included the probably 30-40lbs roof rack. If you drive your Jeep daily I would be more concerned with the mileage decrease you get.

Here is a decent pic of the rack tire and some other things I would carry up there.
DSCF1472-1.jpg

Last edited:
I ran for a while with a 235/75/15 mounted on steel up on the roof rack.
It wasn't bad or really even noticeable during the wheeling I did.
Took it down for road noise & aerodynamics as much as anything.
Helluva lot harder getting the spare on & off the roof than in & out of the trunk, though.

I run a 35x12.50xr15 on Steel DIY beadlocks. It is Heavy. I have never noticed it. I have always run my spare on the top for the same reasons as ICEMAN. In fact I rolled a jeep onto its roof an I blame my not very much damage to the roof because I feel the rack and spare soaked up the impact and taking the brunt of the force. Its heavy and awkward to put up and down but worth the extra room it gives me in the trunk area. I don't know if I have ever noticed the top heavy as others are explaining.

2872397270104388401S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
31x10.50 is the biggest i'd throw up there.. but then again, it can fit in stock location so i would'nt put it up there.

How did you manage that? I just bought a stock replacement wheel and a new 31 x 10.50 for the new to me XJ, removed the donut spare and wondered how I could get the full size to fit back there (vertically).

Thanks.

How did you manage that? I just bought a stock replacement wheel and a new 31 x 10.50 for the new to me XJ, removed the donut spare and wondered how I could get the full size to fit back there (vertically).

Thanks.

Only thing stopping me from putting mine (31 x 10.5 x 15) in the stock location is the speaker grill on my soundbar. That is even with having a TruckVault storage box in the cargo area.

I have a 98XJ with a 3" lift & 31X10.5 LT15's

The spare wouldn't fit the stock location without unlatching the rear seat back. It fit nicely on the cargo floor, but took up too much space. I got it on the roof now sitting on 4 stock roof rails I got from the junkyard, and 4 blue tie-down straps hold it in place.

I haven't noticed it feeling tippy, and was worried about that. I do have newer shocks & still run both swaybars though.

i got a 35 with steel 8 lug rim and my high lift on the roof. the only time i notice it is usually on the highway when you get a gust of wind. but i wouldnt change it cuz like the room in the hatch area for tools and spare parts

Back