• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gear box leak on the bottom side

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I found a leak under the 5-6 year old (rebuilt) steering gear box , right at the lower shaft nut/shaft seal area on the bottom. It is an Autozone rebuilt about 2006 IIRC, unless it was my 85 that the rebuilt went on????, Hmmmm, I need go back to keeping a data base, LOL, too many jeeps). So, It may be the OEM for all I know, but I doubt it at 285,000 miles.

Had an 8" puddle under it on the driveway.

No leaks anywhere else or on the top side, PSP and hoses are all bone dry on the outside. :clap:

Put about 1/4 cup of fresh fluid (with leak stop) in the power steering bottle to bring the level back up.

It steers and turns like new. So I am wondering if that bottom seal is worth replacing, and if so, is there an easy way to do it?

I have a seal rebuild kit I got for like $15 plus shipping and never did anything with.

I was worried I'd do all that work and it would still leak so I'll probably just replace mine.

do some research on what it takes , I don't remember much but I found all the info I needed to figure it out with a few searches.

if you decide you want it shoot me a PM I don't think I will use it.

mine leaks in the same spot but slowly.

Can be changed on car, I've done it twice (1984 Wag and the XJ). Remove the nut, arm and snap ring and put a pan to catch the liquid. Then turn the car on and it should pop out, if not attach arm and nut and try again turning car on and turning wheel to stop. They will then pop out for sure.

Just make sure you have all replacements in hand. I don't remember but I think it might be 1 or 2 seals and a dust boot. I never had a leak again.

Last edited:
It steers and turns like new. So I am wondering if that bottom seal is worth replacing, and if so, is there an easy way to do it?

Get under the front end and grab the end of the pitman arm. Rock it up and down. If it moves much, the bushing is worn and will take a new seal out in a short time.
I have changed a couple of seal sets and I'm not sure how you get them out without pulling the sector shaft and punching the seals out from the inside of the box.
Under the bottom seal is a snap-ring that needs to be removed and above it is another seal. Tough to get to both seals and the snap-ring if the sector shaft is in the way.

Anyone have part view of the guts?

Got under there today, got the pitman arm nut off, and noticed that the pitman arm is not flush on the top side, about a 3/8" gap there, and a rubber cup like seal had POPPED out into the 3/8" gap area. I popped it back in. That might be why it was leaking??? As the seal area was on the splines at that point, not a smooth shaft. So now I am wondering why the gap is there????

The nut was bottomed out on the bottom side of the pitman arm, so is there a part missing top side? or did the seal just blow out from pressure and age?

I may post a picture tomorrow.

No, that "plug" is just to keep out dirt. It is only present on the late model boxes, and even then, many don't seem to come with it.

No, that "plug" is just to keep out dirt. It is only present on the late model boxes, and even then, many don't seem to come with it.

I wouldn't recommend Edleman rebuild kits. I use a ton and have for years, but lately I have had a rash of pitman arm shaft seal failures.

Thanks.

What would make it POP out like that? You say "Late model boxes", this an 87, and the outside of the box looks like it may be the OEM box, but I am not sure.

The box works perfectly fine, it just sprung a tiny leak at the bottom seal.

If we are talking about the same "plug", you don't have an original Renix box, but a newer (crappier) box. When the pressure bypasses the main seal, it will cause the plug to be forced out.
Thanks.

What would make it POP out like that? You say "Late model boxes", this an 87, and the outside of the box looks like it may be the OEM box, but I am not sure.

The box works perfectly fine, it just sprung a tiny leak at the bottom seal.

It very well may be the "newer (crappier) box". I bought 87 rig about 8 years ago, with 224,000 ODO miles.

Well I got rebuilt one at AZ and installed it for now. Kept the core (it was only worth $15) for now. The new one works great so far. It was $127 IIRC.

Here is a photo side by side:

picture.php

The one on the left is the used one, the one that was leaking at the bottom shaft seal.

picture.php

The box on the left is one of the newer boxes. The pix is not too clear and a bit small, but the one on the right looks like it could be a renix. Pull out that rubber plug and take a look at both boxes. The newer box has room for the plug to be inserted fully while the Renix box has an extra seal and the snap ring is less than a quarter of an inch from the end of the snout, while the newer box is about a half inch from the end of the snout.

The box on the left is one of the newer boxes. The pix is not too clear and a bit small, but the one on the right looks like it could be a renix. Pull out that rubber plug and take a look at both boxes. The newer box has room for the plug to be inserted fully while the Renix box has an extra seal and the snap ring is less than a quarter of an inch from the end of the snout, while the newer box is about a half inch from the end of the snout.

I already did that, and you are exactly right on both. Looks like I got lucky on the rebuilt I bought and just installed (the right side one in the photo), as it meets your Renix description exactly, and the one I pulled does not. I take it from your comments that the extra seal renix version is better?

Anyway, your earlier post info here, is why I took the photos and posted them.

In my opinion, yes. It also has the added feature that you can buy a rebuild kit that contains all the bearings, where the new kits do not come with bearings.

In my opinion, yes. It also has the added feature that you can buy a rebuild kit that contains all the bearings, where the new kits do not come with bearings.

I need some advise. The front seal is leaking slowly, the own that connects to the steering wheel. ON the 9 month old rebuild A-JunkZone.

No other leaks, except the radiator hose :mad: that had to join the overnight party:party:

:soapbox:

While I was fixing a stuck lock to ignition switch jam up that does not seem to be the Ign switch or the Ign key-lock assy.:eek:

Is it leaking from the outer edge or from the center shaft?

If it's leaking from the outer edge the Large O-ring has gone bad. This is actually an adjustment for the box so if you decide to change it you must mark the location of the cap and thread on exactly to the same place with the same amount of turns.

It's not that hard to do but box must come off car.

I have no idea yet.

Replaced the power steering pump, so far it looks like it was the real leak, not the gear box. Will know for sure in a few days.

Back