• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 seems to stay engaged

superdave

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ, stock 231 case. I had to engage the t-case when my trailer got hung going over a rise. 4WD worked fine and got it right over. Now it won't disengage and it seems to be binding the front end. I tried rolling slowly forward with the transmission in neutral, no joy. Tried the same rolling backward, no joy. Tried stopped in neutral, no. Park, no.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

If that (Cruiser54's suggestion) doesn't work for you (it doesn't work for my '97 NP231 all the time) try driving forward on a flat surface in 4H @ 2-3mph and shift into 2H. Check to see if it's disengaged before you hit the highway.

Typically I engage 4WD while moving forward at about 5-10 MPH, but this particular time I didn't have that luxury unless I wanted to unhook the trailer and have it possibly roll backward down the hill. But I have tried disengaging with it rolling and it doesn't let go.

Fixed! Put the trans in neutral, started the engine, immediately put t-case in 4 lo and then then popped it into 2wd and bingo!

Back