• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PowerTrax No Slip Locker - 2000 XJ, Chry 8.25, 29 Slpline

injector

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had my inner and outer pinion bearings replaced and found that my Powertraz no-slip locker no longer engages like it did before. The passenger side tire engages sometimes but is disengaged most of the time. It only engages on rare occasions when the rear suspension is articulated. The divers side tire is engaged (fully) all the time. It's really quite sensitive.

I measured the center gap to find that it's slightly out of spec (see below).

dim_pic_1.jpg

So, I decided to take the assembly apart and check that all the pieces are there and are not damaged. However, I cannot figure out how to get the c-clip out (see below). Any advice or tricks would be appreciated... I'm stuck.

dim_pic_2.jpg

For reference, here are the installation instructions:

dim_pic_4.jpg

dim_pic_5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spring kit before you pull it apart -->http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-8001001KAV/

The C-clip is a pain to get out, a lot of brake cleaner, wiggling and jiggling.

I ended up taking a piece of welding rod, hammer flat one end then put a 90* bend in it. Try to slip the 90* bend underneath the c-clip and pull it out.

Proper C-Clip Removal Steps

1.) Make sure the the rig is on jack stands and very stable.

2.) Rotate the locker so the slot is pointing straight down.

3.) Mount 1 brake drum on the axle backwards with 3 lugnuts

4.) Roll up sleeves

5.) Grasp brake drum and begin violently pushing and pulling on the brake drum while scream obscenities as loudly as possible for a minimum of 3 minutes.

Check for C-Clip in the bottom of the housing. If not present repeat step 5 as needed.

Before re-installing the c-Clip, deburr with a file, grinder, concrete block, etc, etc, so you will not have to repeate the steps listed above ever again.

LOL. The couple times my no-slip was installed/taken out/installed again, the active spacers weren't lined up properly. This opened up that gap and prevented the locker from locking up correctly. One time they just needed to be realigned. The 2nd time, it broke and had to be welded back together.

im not familiar with the install of the no slip, but i just did my aussie recently. i noticed that your install instructions only have you measure 1 gap, my aussie was 2 different locations. does the noslip reuse the thrust washers on the side gears? that may get you where you need to be, if yours are bad or not being used. ive only installed 1 lunchbox, and it was into a 30, so my info may be of no help...

but what is up with your carrier? it looks like you lopped part of it off with a hack saw.

Get a spring kit before you pull it apart -->http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-8001001KAV/

The C-clip is a pain to get out, a lot of brake cleaner, wiggling and jiggling.

I ended up taking a piece of welding rod, hammer flat one end then put a 90* bend in it. Try to slip the 90* bend underneath the c-clip and pull it out.

Thanks for your advice. Actually I put a spring kit in it a couple months ago because it was something that could be tried without disassembling the whole no-slip locker. No luck :(

I'll try the welding rod approach.

be careful installing the active spacers, if the tabs are not lined up you will break them then have to get replacements.

does the noslip reuse the thrust washers on the side gears? that may get you where you need to be, if yours are bad or not being used. .

The thrust washers come out and do not get put back in with the locker. Put the thrust washers in the same coffee can you put your spider and side gears in.........

Back