• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where in AC liquid line is orifice?

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
This is a 2000 XJ. I noticed that the AC was cycling quickly yesterday and not blowing cold. When I put a gauge on the low pressure side I could see the pressure dropping a lot so I added refrigerant. It blows pretty cold right now, but I want to make sure I don't have a blockage somewhere. I am driving out toward Moab in a couple weeks and I don't want AC to quit.

The transition from warm to cold happens in the liquid line under the battery. Is that correct? I feel a slight dent at the transition point, is that to retain the orifice tube? I would expect the transition to be closer to the firewall.

The fixed orifice tube is factory installed as part of
the liquid line, and connects the outlet of the condenser
to the inlet of the evaporator. The orifice tube
is located in the end of the liquid line that is closest
to the condenser outlet tube.
The inlet end of the fixed orifice tube has a nylon
mesh filter screen, which filters the refrigerant and
helps to reduce the potential for blockage of the
metering orifice by refrigerant system contaminants.
The outlet end of the tube has a nylon mesh
diffuser screen. The O-rings on the plastic
body of
the fixed orifice tube seal the tube to the inside of
the liquid line and prevent the refrigerant from
bypassing the fixed metering orifice.

OPERATION
The fixed orifice tube is used to meter the flow of
liquid refrigerant into the evaporator coil. The highpressure
liquid refrigerant from the condenser
expands into a low-pressure liquid as it passes
through the metering orifice and diffuser screen of
the fixed orifice tube.

The fixed orifice tube is not serviceable.

It cannot be repaired, and if faulty or plugged, it must be
replaced as part of the refrigerant line.

If you are sure there is a problem with the liquid line with the orifice inside; you can purchase one from the PartsGeek.com. The part number is: 2231-07025994

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/jeep/cherokee/climate_control/a-fs-c_hose.html

Thanks CharlesS, I searched for a while and couldn't find that anywhere. I was worried there was a clog upstream of the orifice tube and I was getting the temperature transition too soon. It was very hot when I had previously checked the refrigerant and pretty cool yesterday. If it gets hot here again, I will check the pressure again to make sure I didn't overfill it.

Back