• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 Axle Seal Installation Depth

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know the installation depth of the National 8835S seals for the C8.25? My 97 Xj needed new seals but the FSM does tell the reader if they are to be flush with the outer edge of the axle tube or recessed within in. At the moment I have my new seals flush with the outer edge of the axle tube.

Searching NAXJA and with Google has not offered any useful information.

Please advise.

Rick

CaliXJ & CharlesS - Thanks for your responses. These will help me get my Xj in order early tomorrow morning as I'm on EST.

Rick

I kept digging and used Google to search for the axle seal installer in the FSM, the C-4076-B. Here is what I came up with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Spec..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c32a31c2&vxp=mtr

and another seal installer showing the face detail

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Tool..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2a21fc20c4&vxp=mtr

The pictures of the face of the installation tool in these ebay auctions indicate the seal should fit flush with the axle edge. However, my guess is that my previous seals were recessed in the tube such that the narrow chamfer in the axle tube ID (...for locating the seal during installation?) was visible on each side. This depth could correspond to contact with the bearing race but, I do not know.

Rick

I kept digging and used Google to search for the axle seal installer in the FSM, the C-4076-B. Here is what I came up with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Spec..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c32a31c2&vxp=mtr

and another seal installer showing the face detail

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Tool..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2a21fc20c4&vxp=mtr

The pictures of the face of the installation tool in these ebay auctions indicate the seal should fit flush with the axle edge. However, my guess is that my previous seals were recessed in the tube such that the narrow chamfer in the axle tube ID (...for locating the seal during installation?) was visible on each side. This depth could correspond to contact with the bearing race but, I do not know.

Rick

Don’t waste your money on the tool; Just use a large socket about the size of the seal.
Lube up the outside of the seal & the tube, Place the socket over the seal & tap it into place, Make sure you keep it straight, As stated above the seal should be slightly recessed into the tube.
Also when re-installing the axle shafts lube up the seal (And bearing) & be careful not to damage the seal (& wheel bearing) as you slide it into the place.
Good Luck!

Garr,

I posted information regarding the seal installation tool purely as a reference to help me (and others) determine how the seal is located in the axle tube. One point I overlooked in providing this type of information is that often times an OE seal features a larger diameter flange that seats against the edge of the axle tube to control the depth of the seal. This may be why these tools suggest the seal should be flush with the axle tube edge. The seals I just removed were installed by a ring & pinion shop when they installed my Chrysler 4.11 gears so, I never saw the original seals to know if they were of the same design as my previous and current National 8835S, which does not feature an external flange as a positive stop for the axle tube edge. I had no intention of purchasing the C-4076-B to install my seals. The 1-13/16" socket works perfectly for this purpose.

I also checked the existing gap between the inside lip of the metal seal housing and the outer lip of the axle shaft bearing race. I used my 2 mm allen key so the comments that the seal should be seated against the bearing cup are consistent with the seal being slightly recessed within the axle tube and the inner diameter tube chamfer being visible with my previous set of 8835S seals. I could easily insert the 2 mm key (0.78") but, could not translate it parallel to the axle tube length so the 2 mm/.78" is a good estimate for the gap currently between my seal housing and bearing race.

Rick

Back