• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 renix 4.0 xj C103 connector?

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a picture of where this bloody connector is? I'm told I need to check for voltage at C103 and that it's the "flat 6 wire connector next to the shock tower" but the only flat connector I can find is the connector hard mounted just to the front of the tower. it's two 3 pin connectors, and one 2 pin connector. Not 6 wires like I'm told it should be. I've searched freaking everywhere trying to find what it looks like, but can't find anything.

Well see, that would explain that... I think the guys helping me out have older XJ's

awesome.....
so on that subject, do either of you know which wire activates the starter relay?

I've got nothing for the post '89 wiring. It's green IIRC on the '87-'89, but don't know on the '90.

Does the '90 still use the metal starter relay with the battery cable attachment, or did it switch to a standard plastic relay?

It's the good 'ol metal relay. cable straight to it from the battery.

X2^^ I believe when the C101 (firewall connection) went away the re-wire included a change in that connection as well.
He asked about C103, not the C101?

I think he is looking for or tracing fuel pump power wires. I have three large flat ones on the passenger side, but two of them are AW4 and NSS related IIRC, and they are near the engine to transmision connection. There is another one on the fender wall near the relay gang IIRC. One of those relays is the fuel pump power relay.

Last edited:
You are correct, ecomike. But shorty was saying he believed they changed BOTH in 1990.
I've lovcated the pump relay, and decided that it works. Still haven't found the culprit though.

You are correct, ecomike. But shorty was saying he believed they changed BOTH in 1990.
I've lovcated the pump relay, and decided that it works. Still haven't found the culprit though.

87 or 88 was the last year for the C-101, the 89 did not have it.

I am waiting for the rain to stop, to track down a lost Allspark on my 87 today. The CPS signal was good, but no spark from the primary coil...

sounds like you're having fun too...
do wyou know which functiond the CPS affects when it's bad? I just founf that my CPS wire insulation is melted through.but it affects spark, not fuel, right?

do wyou know which functiond the CPS affects when it's bad? I just founf that my CPS wire insulation is melted through.but it affects spark, not fuel, right?

to the best of my knowledge, it affects both spark and fuel delivery. Spark won't happen without the CPS signal, and the fuel pump will run but the injectors won't fire without the CPS signal.

okay, that's what I thought.
I ran a hot wire straight from the battery to my fuel pump and nothing happened. It sparked like any good 12v connection should, but the pump didn't run. My gremlins grow...

everything points to a bad pump (based on my reading this at work, earlier today)-- I'd probably try a new pump and a jumper circuit to determine if fuel delivery was the root cause of the original problem.

If everything works that way, I'd start eliminating connections one at a time.

I'm going to pull it and bench test it tomorrow.

I did jump it today and nothing happened. the connection sparked, but the pump didn't run. I'm still not getting power to the connector though.
so even if the pump DOES work, for some reason it's not getting power.

Been chasing that for weeks.

I'd appreciate that.
Enjoy your date!

do you know which function the CPS affects when it's bad? I just found that my CPS wire insulation is melted through.but it affects spark, not fuel, right?

If the CPS signal strength is not a solid and proper looking wave form, and high enough RPM, you get no spark or fuel signal from the ECU. If the CPS was causing a miss fire, it would usually be random, not the same cylinder.

If you had a bad tooth on the flywheel or flex plate at the #4 cylinder, I guess it could cause a consistent misfire, not one than comes and goes, but it would also throw the plate out of balance and might cause starter teeth slipping and grinding issues, and constant vibration.

to the best of my knowledge, it affects both spark and fuel delivery. Spark won't happen without the CPS signal, and the fuel pump will run but the injectors won't fire without the CPS signal.

That is correct. There is also a distributor sensor that the ecu needs to see to fire the right fuel injector in the right timing order. If that signal is no good, it will eventually try to fire fuel injectors, but it starts with a random selection IIRC, limp mode. It has a 50/50 chance of picking the right injector....the way the flywheel, CPS, dizzy sensor, ECU is set up.

Back