• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limited slip doesn't limit the slip!

Bzamora

NAXJA Forum User
My '99 XJ came with the traction differential, which was working fine until last winter. It was then that I realized that it was no longer doing its job. I assume the clutch packs are simply worn out. Everything is still factory stock. I'm not 100% sure if I have the Chrysler corporate rear end or the Dana but I know I'll need to verify this before I do anything on my own.

Are the clutch packs something I can replace myself or am I going to have to have a shop take it apart?

ON a c8.25 you will find it alot more work, since they have side adjusters for the carrier preload and backlash adjust ment that you have to either make a tool or buy the tool, to turn em.

The D35 and D44 are both much easier since you just have to reinstall EVERYTHING EXACTLY as it comes out (bearing caps, shims, etc), and once you remove the diff, you can pretty easily replace the clutch pack. google how to and you will see some easy home made methods to get the trac-loc apart.

Easy way to figure out which axle you have is peak underneath and take a look at the diff cover. Depending on the shape and overall look will tell you which one it is.

But also since you have a 99 there is another method of figuring it out. If you have ABS (anti-lock braking system) then you 100% have the Dana 35. If you DO NOT have ABS then you have the Chrysler 8.25. Jeep only put the Dana 35 in ABS equipped Jeeps.

Keep in mind though that is assuming you have an unmolested fully stock Jeep. The best method is to look underneath your Jeep.

Back