• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Drop Brackets

My opinion.

I have the Rough County's and think they suck and wish I never bought them. They take away the pogo stick ride and replace it with crappy handling unless you also buy or have adjustable uppers. If you have adjustable arms already or they came with a kit the drop brackets would be fine. But if you need to buy all the stuff just save a little more and buy a long arm upgrade. You'll be much happier.

My opinion.

I have the Rough County's and think they suck and wish I never bought them. They take away the pogo stick ride and replace it with crappy handling unless you also buy or have adjustable uppers. If you have adjustable arms already or they came with a kit the drop brackets would be fine. But if you need to buy all the stuff just save a little more and buy a long arm upgrade. You'll be much happier.

If you get the correct length CA's then it should not be an issue, you would adjust cast the same as stock via the shims. Adjustable arms make it a million times easier tho. There are charts that show the approx length need for arms at certain heights with the DB's

If you get the correct length CA's then it should not be an issue, you would adjust cast the same as stock via the shims. Adjustable arms make it a million times easier tho. There are charts that show the approx length need for arms at certain heights with the DB's

Yea that what I thought to. I have 4 1/2" BDS front springs with rear full aal and shackles. At first I used lowers intended for the lift with stock uppers and the ride was horrible. So I did a little research (a big infuses on the word little) about drop brackets and decided on the RCX drops. So I installed them as per the instructions putting my stock lowers back on. When I drove it to the alignment shop it was hell! Come to find out it had - castor. So they adjusted with the shims as far as they would go and they got 0*. Then they told me I needed longer lower arms or shorter upper arms. So I ran home and threw the long lowers that was intended for a 4 1/2" lift back on and ran buck to the shop. I had them adjusted all the way back thinking it should be about right. Wrong! They had to slide them all the way forewords just to get 4* total castor. That's also whacked out my wheel base so if I use a tire any taller then a 31 they rub in the front and it still don't drive worth a crap. Also of you use the self tapping screws they WILL fall out and you WILL have to weld the brackets to the frame.

Just save up and buy a long arm kit upgrade you will thank me later.
1871b4ee-8fb8-3bd9.jpg

When I put my drop bracket in, the castor was all wrong.

I added just over 1/2" of shims, (which required replacing the bolts in the adjuster boot with longer ones), and that fixed it.

I have fixed RE fixed length CA's (from their 4.5" kit), RE 4.5" coils + ~1.25 inch spacer. RC drop brackets and braces.

YMMV

I think the RE drop brackets/braces are probably better with the braces going further down the frame rail. I agree the self tappers suck. My RC drop brackets are mounted to bolt holes tapped into HD Offroad frame stiffeners.

5.5" lift, RE Drop Brackets and braces, RE Control Arms for 3.5" Lift, adjustable upper control arms.

Rides very nicely, the suspension no longer pounds into the unibody over potholes and expansion joints. Off road it flexes well and the drop brackets restore your suspension droop. With the drop brackets, the ride and handling is almost stock.

All I did for alignment was add a bit more toe-in. The steering is a little vague on center, but it doesn't have a dead spot, or wander when on the Interstate highway. The tires are centered in the fender opening.

Drop brackets are a good low cost alternative to long arms, especially if you can find a set of used ones. I paid $150 for used drop brackets and braces, and $250 for all 4 of the control arms.

Several years ago I added the RE drop brackets and braces to a RE 5" lift, but I already had adjustable upper and lower control arms.
I set the upper and lower control arms to the recommended length posted by YuccaMan many years ago.
Afterwards the Jeep drove GREAT.... I had the alignment checked and the caster was 7*. The steering and highway feel were greatly improved.

I have heard several Jeep owers say that they used fixed length control arms, but I am not sure how they do that and get the proper caster/pinion angle adjusted.

Back