• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Left front wheel squeak?

xjTrent

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have an interesting issue. First off I have a 1996 Jeep cherokee 4.0 etc etc, 3 inch lift with trimming and 32 inch tires rolling on stock dana axles.

So I just got done replacing the hub assemblies, the passenger side is fine and smooth. The drivers side on the other hand makes a noise like the tires squealing while I drive it? It's one squeak per rotation and it gets loud when I roll over a bump at speed. It sounds like the tire squealing on the road but the wheel rolls fine?

Any experience with this?
Thanks, Trent

The first thing I would check would be the condition of the brake pads. The squeak may be the wear indicator is telling you its nearing brake pad replacement time.
If the wear indicator is not the problem then it could be either a dry axle U joint or a dry hub bearing.

I have a squeak coming from my front left wheel also. Like yours, it is one squeak per rotation....

It is most obvious at slow speeds... and goes away when I feather the breaks. So, I assumed it was just squeaky breaks.

But, I never thought to check the U-joint for grease. Could it be the u-joint if it goes away when I feather the breaks???

Re-torque the axle nut. Last time I replaced mine one began to squeak within a few days, when I re-torqued the nut It moved an extra 1/4 turn. New axle shafts and new unit bearings wore into each other and the bearings were loose. When one of those wore out after a few years it began to squeak again but only when the weight of the vehicle was on it and it was also louder when turning.

~Alex

Okay I am 98 percent sure this noise is the tire.. Can a bad alignment cause this? I'm gettin mine aligned on monday the camber and castor is way off since I put in the new front axle a couple weeks ago.

I had this happen to me once... a VERY pronounced squeak coming from my front tire. I could here it going slow, but after a certain speed it would go away. I was puzzled for weeks. Finally I had my wife drive it while I walked next to it... turns out it was coming from my back tire. Lug nuts were loose.... very loose.

Just something quick to check!

I found what was going on. I didn't see it on the ground but with the jeep on the lift I could see the ball joints shift and when they shifted it would make the front tires look like this: / \ just not quite that dramatic... Anywho the noise is my tires getting eaten alive at high speeds. I'm doin the ball joints this weekend then getting it aligned!

Back