• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt tensioner issue

dsapper

NAXJA Forum User
My belt was slipping awhile ago and I used the adjuster by the idler pully to tighten it. It worked great (that was 2000 miles ago).

Now I need to replace my exhaust/intake gasket and cannot get the adjuster to loosen at all. I've unscrewed it entirely, screwed it all the way down, no difference. I hit it with a mallet, prybar etc.

What the hell am I doing wrong guys?!

You loosened both bolts right? The one you adjust with and the one that it mounts to the engine with?

On my 94, there are 2 bolts in the rear of the p/s pump that need to be loosened, as well as the pivot bolt and the bolt on the threaded tensioner bolt as well.

You also need to loosen the bolt on the front of the idler to release it on my 96

Year of your jeep would be helpful

On the later models you must release the clamping bolt, but I don't think the adjuster will move without that. On earlier models (pre-96) you must loosen the power steering pump so it pivots. Two bolts as I recall, but when in doubt an extra one or two won't hurt. It's often possible to tighten the belt without doing this, but you can't loosen it again.

On the 96+ you can loosen the adjuster without loosening the clamping bolt, but it will just cause the adjuster to back out of the sleeve, rather than allwoing the idler to release

My 91 you have to loosen the pivot bolt on top, tensioner nut on bottom and the two bolts on the back of power steering. Then the adjuster bolt for the power steering to even move.

Back