• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Question

HalfHitch

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ, L6, stock 5 speed that needs a new clutch. I use it as a DD and the occasional off road weekend excursions and the twice a year fishing trip. I need help making up my mind on a Clutch Kit. I have looked at the LuK kits. Are they the best clutch for the money? Should I spend the extra cash for the heavy duty clutch?
Thanks for your input.

In the research ive done in the past about clutches, LUK seems to be the most common choice and also what I purchased as a replacement for my 90 MJ.

I have always liked the Centerforce Dual Friction Performance Clutch Disc and install a high performance pressure plate at the same time. Stiffer springs in the pressure plate will let the disc live longer. No worries about pedal pressure here as the hydraulics will soak it up...

Do not forget to have the flywheel faced at a machine shop. Over time, the friction material polishes the flywheel reducing the friction. A new setup must mate to a freshly machined face.

Buy a new flywheel, don't have it resurfaced UNLESS the machine shop can get the curve right and not remove too much material. New flywheels are only $60-70 anyway.

I've got a Luk Pro Gold in my 94, I've been happy with it.

Back