• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 or 29 spline 8.25 ??

dvsxj2954

NAXJA Forum User
my 1998 xj has the axle under the leaf springs as it should but there is a set of leaf spring perches on the bottom of the axle that have been cut off as if it were mounted on top the the springs of some vehicle ?!?!?! :dunno: and one shock mount is home made, im wondering if the the old 27 spline or the newer 29 spline ? :dunno: is there any visual way to identify which one it is with out pulling the cover and counting spline teeth ? :dunno: also it is a limited slip if that makes any difference ? thanks

I don't think there's a visual way to id it.

I'm wondering if it came out of a Dodge Dakota.

Post pics. Are you sure it's an 8.25? There is a small chance someone took an MJ dana 44 and put it under your jeep.

Its an 8.25
Image08272012202324.jpg

yep, that's an 8.25 alright!

I can't imagine why there would be perches on the bottom unless someone set it up for SUA at some point in the past.

does it have disk brakes? perhaps it's a liberty axle and they were control arm brackets someone removed?

Idk either was in there when i got it, just struck me as odd, the reason i was wondering about pline count.is im going to be going to an open 4.10 carrier so i can run an aussie locker, i bought an 8.25 lastnight from a97 and it is a 29 spline so if.mine.is a 27 i would swap this axlenin and if mine actually is a 29 i will keep shafts for mine and.part out/scrap the rest

The only way I know is to drain the differential, pop one of the c-clips, pull an axle and then count the splines.
If legible numbers are stamped on the axle, you might get lucky and find a online listing that shows which axle you have.

Back