• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump,big hub or small hub?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Searching for a water pump for my 89 xj 4.0 Laredo and they ask me if it's a big hub or small hub...I don't have the pump off yet because it's my only mode of transport...the only thing I can figure for the hub size difference is one is for xjs with ac and without?Ofcourse the parts guy couldn't offer a reason for the difference....

Last edited:
Measure the bolt pattern on the hub then go back in there and compare. You can do that before you remove it.

The large hub is 3.72" and the small hub is 2.31".

I've never been asked that, not that I've had to replace too many. Non a/c 4.0 models use a bypass pulley so the belt is the same.

Rock Auto also show 2 different hub heights as well as hub diameters. ????

Never been asked that either. Definitely confirm its for a 4.0L

Note from DJ
Two Water Pumps listed for Renix
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004320
OP by 90BLUE_XJ
Does anyone know why there are two water pumps listed for a 90 Renix 4.0L? They are described as having different flange heights. What would need a different flange height?
------------------
Post #3 from lawsoncl
Its 4-cyl versus 6-cyl. For grins, I looked on RockAuto and it lists two Bosch units for the 6-cyl, but that doesn't look right. www.boschautoparts.com says you need the 97082, and the 97081 is for the 4-cyl.

BOSCH 97082 2.31" Hub Height & 3 5/16" Diameter Hub => 6-cyl reverse rotation
BOSCH 97081 3.72" Hub Height & 2 5/8" Diameter Hub => 4-cyl reverse rotation
BOSCH 97080 3.72" Hub Height & 2 5/8" Diameter Hub => 4-cyl standard rotation

Looks like the taller one is also reverse rotation!!! And Rock auto lists all the others as standard rotation, or simply says nothing about hub height or rotation. The Rock auto list of water pumps is a mess!!!!! But the 80 and 81 are listed for the 2.5 L, 4 banger, and the 82 is not, so I guess the 97082 must be the right one for the 4.0?

Back