• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

random clunking in rear after towing a 5x8... 45mph +

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
So I towed a modestly heavy load for 800 miles, and now that the trailer is gone it makes a really annoying clunking while I drive at an average speed of 60. The best i can do is describe it as a rock in a clothes dryer, and seems to be coming from the gas tank area (sounds like its smacking the floor). I first thought it was the wind blowing smething around but there's nothing under there. Any ideas? I hope it isn't the diff, but I just changed the fluid before I left for the trip. Thanks.

don't take this the wrong way ... but is the hitch ball still in the receiver?

might be worth it to take a look inside the diff ... just in case.

don't take this the wrong way ... but is the hitch ball still in the receiver?

might be worth it to take a look inside the diff ... just in case.

Yup, hitch is out. I can't find anything loose just yet. Can't be a shock, cause its still doing it on smooth roads.

What could bounce around in a differential, and wouldn't/could it get caught in the gears and just destroy my jeep?

it was the rattling part, but then I just re-read and you said it sounded like something was hitting the floor ... which leads me to question the upper shock mounts. Could be a bar pin has let go ...

it was the rattling part, but then I just re-read and you said it sounded like something was hitting the floor ... which leads me to question the upper shock mounts. Could be a bar pin has let go ...

That actually seems very plausible. If it ain't that, ill crack open the diff and find out its probably that.

Back