• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ Country No Spark

Stumper92

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 Cherokee Country that will crank but has no spark. Here's the story:

I drove the Jeep about 25 miles to a friend's house and everything worked fine. I shut the Jeep off and it sat for about 30 minutes. When I went to start it, the engine would crank, but wouldn't turn over. I had it trailered home and in troubleshooting found fuel pressure to be fine. checked the ignition system and found there was no spark. I tried swapping out the usual suspects (the ignition coil and CPS) with no luck. I pulled off the distributer cap and found the cap's center electrode had broken off and the metal contact on the top of the rotor button was just slightly twisted. I changed out the cap and rotor and still have no spark. I then removed the distributor cap, rotor button, and cam position sensor off. I noticed the metal tab that is positioned to the inside of the sensor wheel appears to have gotten hot and the plastic that holds it in place has become distorted, causing the metal tab to rotate about 10 degrees. I am going to replace the sensor tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem. I realize this description would be better served with supporting pictures and I will try to post some tomorrow. My question to everyone is, has anyone else seen this problem before? I am perplexed as to why the electrode on the distributor cap would break off and the cam sensor would appear to have gotten hot and distorted. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Stumper

Update: I replaced the cam position sensor (Distributor Pickup) module and the Jeep started and ran fine. I am still not certain if the broken distributer cap center electrode and the defective distributor pickup module have anything in common, of if their simultaneous failure was just a coincidence.

Back