• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Xj w/C8.25 - Removing Stubborn Drum Brake Backing Plate Bolts

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
Rust is making my efforts much more difficult and I need some useful advice to remove these bolts from the flange on the C8.25 tube. I have removed the bolts that secure the drum brake backing plates to an axle (not on this axle) before and they seem to come out relatively easily with a heavy punch and hammer. I have tried repeatedly to remove these bolts on this C8.25 and they do not budge.

I am assuming these bolts have splines or are knurled but, it also seems these surface finishes should not be preventing them from being easily removed. Am I dealing with a rust bond? If yes, this indicates high heat for a short time followed by a water spray to crack the rust bond.

Please help - I must remove these bolts today so I can clean up and paint the axle tube with Chassis Saver as well to give my repair efforts longevity.

Rick

Looks like it is time to get the "red wrench" out. Heat to break the rust. I do not follow the heat with a quench, just let it air cool.

And the last set I pulled out were not knurled that is why there is a flat spot on the head of the bolt to keep it from turning when tightened.

Could be wrong, but the FSM says to "Remove the bolts" so, no indication that they are anything other than a slip fit...

You, my fine fellow, have rust.

Solved! My method was not quite right and required a small change from my initial efforts with a 9" tapered punch as my driving tool.

I tried a 4" bolt with a hex head for an 11/16" socket as my drift. I placed the bolt head against the backing plate bolts to minimize risk of damaging the fine threads these bolts feature. All 8 drum backing plate bolts have been removed.

Using the bolt as my drift allowed me to 'feel' how solid the hammer strike to the bolt was. This made removing these stuck bolts easy. Note these bolts have splines and are not knurled.

Rick

Back