• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What rear axles are good swaps?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting closer to swapping a new axle in. My 8.25 Pinion bearing is toast leaking oil a small puddle under the jeep every day. I am leaning towards the 8.8 but I have 4.10 gears at the moment and am having a hard time finding an 8.8 with 4.10 gears. I have heard of a few other options such as Isuzu Rodeo D44 not sure if it has 4.10 gears and if it will work. XJ Dana 44's are hard to find and never have 4.10 gears. Any help would be great.

With the $$ your going to spend on an axle swap, why not just throw some new bearings and seal in you 8.25? Might even be less money in the long run, and give you time to find an 8.8 if you really wanna head that route later.

What part of CA you in? Jeeperjohn or RWKHaus both do good work.

Last edited:
the 8.25 is not a bad axle at all.it has a larger pinion shaft diameter then a dana 44.if you have a 97 or later you have the 29 spline axles . if not you can put them in with the matching carrier.the only real draw back with this axle is c clip and not as many parts as 44 or 8.8, the 8.25 with the 29 spline axle will hold up to 33,s same as a dana 44. im not sure what the axle diameter or spline count is on a 8.8

My 8.25 is trashed striped adjuster ring bad ring and pinion.

My 8.25 is trashed striped adjuster ring bad ring and pinion.

Keep an eye out in the FS section, Something will come up. I'm sure someone with an 8.8 will tell you exactly what explorer to look for with 4:10 gears too. Though it won't be a direct swap, so some slight fab work will need to be done.

Keep an eye out in the FS section, Something will come up. I'm sure someone with an 8.8 will tell you exactly what explorer to look for with 4:10 gears too. Though it won't be a direct swap, so some slight fab work will need to be done.

96+ Explorer sport (2Dr) usually have the 4.10 w/ limited slip I know both explorer sports my Step-Father had (1997, and a 2001) had 8.8's with 4.10 gears with limited slips and rear disk brakes

96+ Explorer sport (2Dr) usually have the 4.10 w/ limited slip I know both explorer sports my Step-Father had (1997, and a 2001) had 8.8's with 4.10 gears with limited slips and rear disk brakes

And the lug pattern will match up with the one on your 8.25. In my opinion the explorer 8.8 is the best cheapest swap

I loved the 8.8 in my last rig. Planning to do the same on this one.

Hit car-part.com to find one

Dana 35's are cheap and plentiful. Lots of people on this board will swear to the long term durability of the Dana 35 even when running 35's and a locker. With the Dana 35's super small ring gear and center section you get more ground clearance so you get hung up a lot less too.

John

OK after 3 minutes I had to edit this: I'm JOKING. Dana 35's are junk. If you cant find another 8.25 (they are out there) go with the 8.8. A lot of speed shops have jigs to narrow them so you can use short side shafts on both sides. Its C-clip but with discs thats not a fatal flaw.

John

Last edited:
Here are the codes to look for on the drivers door jam of explorers/mountaineers for the 8.8

43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

Just did this swap on my 92 XJ. Look for a 95-01 Explorer/Mountaineer/Navajo with discs. Check tag on door like Tacedaddy said. Get the flange from the driveshaft with it. I used a ball joint press to take the ujoint out. Use Moog conversion ujoint (advance auto part #353). Get 2 long side ebrake cables. Ruffstupecialties has the swap kit you want unless you can make your own perches and such. I also used a passenger side caliper hose on drivers sidewalks (advance auto part #H380528). Frame to axle hose for a 79 ford f350 (advance auto part #H386851) and welded a bolt to hold it on the axle. Bent a piece of hardline from each caliper hose to hose from f350 mounted on axle. You will need to pull your console to get ebrake handle out and extend rod with a piece of 1/4-20 about 4-5" long to hook up your ebrakes with the explorer cables if you use them. I can send you pics of everything I did to make it work if you like. May need to get photobucket account soon to post pics for you here. PM me if you want the pics sent somewhere.

Just did this swap on my 92 XJ. Look for a 95-01 Explorer/Mountaineer/Navajo with discs. Check tag on door like Tacedaddy said. Get the flange from the driveshaft with it. I used a ball joint press to take the ujoint out. Use Moog conversion ujoint (advance auto part #353). Get 2 long side ebrake cables. Ruffstupecialties has the swap kit you want unless you can make your own perches and such. I also used a passenger side caliper hose on drivers sidewalks (advance auto part #H380528). Frame to axle hose for a 79 ford f350 (advance auto part #H386851) and welded a bolt to hold it on the axle. Bent a piece of hardline from each caliper hose to hose from f350 mounted on axle. You will need to pull your console to get ebrake handle out and extend rod with a piece of 1/4-20 about 4-5" long to hook up your ebrakes with the explorer cables if you use them. I can send you pics of everything I did to make it work if you like. May need to get photobucket account soon to post pics for you here. PM me if you want the pics sent somewhere.

Thanks Wiggleworm, Trevor @ http://www.wfoconcepts.com/Default.aspx is looking for a 8.8 with 4.10 gears for me. We discussed upgrading it down the road with a super 88 kit and changing to 4.88 gears once I can afford it.

Back