• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231j slack

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Talked about this before but we never found an answer. Finally had time today to pull it out.

The input to rear output seems pretty tight (maybe 1d slack).
The rear output (cv) has a tonne of lateral slack though. The whole CV or even the output shaft will slide 2-3mm in and out. Pulled a piece of degraded rubber seal out of it as well which I suspect may have been the problem.
The front output has about 12-15d slack and makes a lot of noise.
What's everyone think?

Video linked.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OgYBmcsdCiAy22cp1C2ob9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

P.S. Can anyone tell me who made this SYE? I'm guessing that seal I ripped out used to be more substantial and just blew apart, leaving a big gap for everything to knock around. Going to try to pull it apart tonight but have to run to store to find a socket big enough (no idea what size it is either).

So spent the remaining few minutes of sunlight investigating. That rubber seems to have been as dampener. It didn't actually come completely apart, was just the edges. It's just a bit of rubber stuck between the nut and the end of the CV joint. There's still lots left.
When I first looked at this, I thought that nut was tight. Now that I have the goddamn right socket, turns out it was just loose by 3mm :) Tightened it up and it's solid. Hopefully that's all of my problems solved.

As for the front output slack, it has to be normal. I looked at the gears that drive the chain to the front output and the teeth are intentionally spaced about 1cm from each other. not sure why, but it's clearly factory so I'm not going to worry about it.

That said, I've never seen the inside of a t-case anyhow, so i'm going to crack it open while I have it out. Learn something and perhaps find something wrong.

The one thing I can't figure out though is that there's an oil passage on the bottom of the transmission that would seem to be blocked by the t-case. Oil comes of of it but I'm not at all sure why. Will get a picture if no one knows what I'm talking about. Seems like a silly place to put an oil passage to nowhere, as it will definitely leak with no seals, and I've never heard of a seal for it.

the rubber between the nut and DC yoke is the spline seal, all output/input yokes have those even on your axles. Just keep and eye on it if there is more popping out or you notice some leaking just replace it ... they are cheap enough. It's just a rubber washer that gets squashed by the washer/nut to seal the yoke splines. Easy enough to make one really.

if you pull the yoke and put it back the order would be yoke, rubber washer, flat washer, nut.

Back