• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 radiator swap

dreedy660

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to get rid of coolant bottle on firewall and install a real radiator with a cap, any suggestions if a 95 or in that era fit into my 87 ?

Yep, did it to my 89 MJ with the radiator out of my old 01 XJ. Just needed to grab som heater hose lines from the local parts store. I still need to figure out a heater control valve for it, but I have a huge "to-do" list of other mods before I get there.

i have done this.a 91 and up radiator will work no problem. if you want to run the factory fan temp switch that goes in the radiator. the only radiator i found was an all aluminum 1 1/4 single core hgh ieffecincy radiator for a 91 and up Cherokee.i used the factory heater valve as there is a restrictor on the by pass circiut. i jut cut part of the tube . i also removed the other t piece that went to the bottle and used a universal heater hose t and ran a piece of heater hose to make the bypass. i did a lot of research on this because i removed the factory heater valve and used a 96 heater valve.i could not figure out why when the summer hit it would run hot on a warm day or run hot when the rpm's were about 2700rpm. the head design is different on a 91 and later. the earlier ones need the restrictor in the heater control valve or they flow too much hot coolant back into the engine. .hope this helps

Wanting to get rid of coolant bottle on firewall and install a real radiator with a cap, any suggestions if a 95 or in that era fit into my 87 ?

A real radiator?

I guess my F350 diesel doesn't have a real radiator, since it is a closed system with a plastic expansion tank. :)

BTW, ton's of info out there on this subject.

i have found that the only real problen with the early exspansion tank system is they have a weak/poor quality design tank. the tanks used on all the newer vehicles have much better designed tank. as a option you maybe able to install a tank from a another closed type system and make it work. i didnt try it.

Back