• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle advice

XJ Abuser

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a d30 open and 3.55's and 8.25 Lincoln locked. I have an 8.8 waiting to be built. I don't have a big budget to build the 8.8 w/ eaton locker and regearing both at this time.
I would like to regear both, install an Aussie up front and spool the rear. I hear that a spool requires a c clip eliminator kit. Is this true?
Ultimately I want a waggy 44 in the front and e lockers in both. This is a ways off.
What are my options? I am open to suggestions. I am currently on 33's and will eventualy go to 35's.

The rig mainly snow wheels and sees northwest trails. No rocks for me.

The 8.8 is only marginally stronger than a 29 spline 8.25, I wouldn't bother with that swap at all. I'd sell the 8.8, buy the aussie for the front, and wheel it untill you can afford the front swap with gears and all. If your going to run a waggy front, may as well run a waggy rear and have a matching 6 lug pattern. If you are planning a future axle upgrade, save your money and build 1 set of axles.

yeah, 2 more splines, and larger tubes, a ring gear that is .5" larger, thats marginal

by that logic, a 60 is only marginally stronger than a 44

What would be another option instead of a waggy frontend? I've read the d30, debates but I don't really want to soak that much money into one if there is another reasonable option that has the original wheel pattern.

Advice for 33's and 35's? - keep the 8.25. You can argue about the 8.8 but I think you'll see far more D30 damage than 8.25 on 35's. I've been running 35's on a locked D30/8.25 for 6 years and that's what I've seen. Although the 8.8 has bigger tubes, I've seen more damaged 8.8 housings vs 8.25.

Under your 2 extra splines meaning so much logic, the 8.8 is stronger than the 44 and a stock 60. I'll put my stock 60 against a stock 8.8 any day of the weak. 8.8 has stronger tubes, but they spin easily. By the time you weld on mounts and weld the tubes, you could have trussed the 8.25. The op wheels in mud and snow, 8.8 swap is more trouble than it's worth.

8.25 with alloys & ZJ discs will be good enough for you. I've personally seen an 8.25 holdup to 37irocks on stock shafts(can't say the same for the lock30)

Based on opinions, I may keep the 8.25 and build the d30. Seems that may be the most painless way to go. I don't want to mess with the bolt pattern woes of the waggy axle at this point. I can always install the d30 in another xj in the future for one of my sons should I decide to upgrade.

Look out for a Waggy 44 front and an Izuzu 44 rear if you want to keep it about stock width(Waggy rear is a bit narrower than stock XJ axles)
If you want to go a little wider, keep a lookout for a HP44/9".
Too wide? Narrow the front 2" each side and run TJ Rubicon 44 inner shafts, and narrow the 9". The 9" uses equal length shafts, so the pinion actually sits more on the passenger side, take a few inches out of the drivers side and that should center the pinion under the vehical. Should end up with about 62" WMS-WMS.

Look out for a Waggy 44 front and an Izuzu 44 rear if you want to keep it about stock width(Waggy rear is a bit narrower than stock XJ axles)
If you want to go a little wider, keep a lookout for a HP44/9".
Too wide? Narrow the front 2" each side and run TJ Rubicon 44 inner shafts, and narrow the 9". The 9" uses equal length shafts, so the pinion actually sits more on the passenger side, take a few inches out of the drivers side and that should center the pinion under the vehical. Should end up with about 62" WMS-WMS.

I talked with a buddy yesterday who is in the same club. He recommended the Isuzu/waggy combo too. This seems like the best option for my needs. My plan is to score the axles and build them as money allows. In the meantime I will use the lincolnocker 8.25 and throw in a lunchbox for the turdy. This combo will have matching bolt patterns as far as I know. I will have to get a new set of rims but no biggie. My current rims can go on my other xj.

I would not have reservations building the d30 for the wheelin' I do except for the fact I wheel like a testosterone fueled teenager. I will feel more comfortable with a 44 in the end.

Thanks all who helped me work thru my problem.

Last edited:
Update

A buddy of mine found a craigslist post of an 88 grand wagoneer being parted out. I called the guy and ended up picking up both axles for $250. The good thing is they are both D44's and the bad, I have to sell my rims eventually and buy the 6 lug rims. Overall I think I got a good deal and a decent upgrade.

ETA: I found a great D44 blog that breaks it down to ridiculous. I thought I might share it for those who have the need for information.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Last edited:
You can spend a lot of money to make a D30 decently strong but still questionable for 35" tires and hard wheeling, or you could spend a moderate amount of money setting up a front D44 and have an axle that should last you a long time wheeling with 35's. The 8.25 will hold up well with alloy shafts and 35" tires. Maybe you can sell the 8.8 and put the funds toward a D44 front.

I actually scored a front/rear axle set out of a 88 grand wagoneer. I then traded my 8.8 for an Isuzu d44 so I could have 4.30's and disc brakes. Now all that is needed for the rear is to strip the existing perches and other hardware then install my spring perches and build the front.

I am ahead on this build now. Originally I was going to have to regear both axles and install a disc brake conversion. I will still be sinking dollars into the front though. The front will have a selectable locker and the rear will be welded for now. Im on a limited budget like most.

Back