• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Trakloc

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
Would anyone here recommend installing a NEW Trakloc carrier instead of a lunch box in a daily driver, lightly wheeled 98' XJ ?

It would seem to me it would offer much better drive-ability, and for the same cost as a Spartan or Aussie and half the cost of a Truetrac.

That is correct, I'm a tight-wad

Lunch boxes in DD's seem to be a matter of preference. I prefer the smoother engagement of the TrackLok - Yes you can feel it bind when you flip a U, but that's nothing compared to the pop and bang of the lunch box - in my experience.

If it was your weekend fun or dedicated trail I would say go for it. On a DD just seems to put alot of unnecessary stress/wear on everything. If your tires are 31 or under you might be fine though.

Oh, you said you were a tight wad - well a lunch box won't go into a TrakLok carrier (if that is what you have now) - you need a regular Open carrier with stock dimensioned crosspin to put in a lunchbox.

What is the budget ? Who is doing the set-up of the new LS carrier ? What are the main goals, cost savings, more traction, or lots more traction ? Limited Slips seldom last when used more than lightly off-road.

My DD 8.25 has been locked with a No-Slip for years. It bangs once or twice a year and no excessive wear on tires or axle parts.

What is the budget ?($300ISH) Who is doing the set-up of the new LS carrier ?(I AM,YES I KNOW HOW) What are the main goals, cost savings, more traction,(YES) or lots more traction ? Limited Slips seldom last when used more than lightly off-road.(THE LS IN MY YJ IS HOLDING UP GREAT)

Lunch boxes in DD's seem to be a matter of preference. I prefer the smoother engagement of the TrackLok - Yes you can feel it bind when you flip a U, but that's nothing compared to the pop and bang of the lunch box - in my experience.

If it was your weekend fun or dedicated trail I would say go for it. On a DD just seems to put alot of unnecessary stress/wear on everything. If your tires are 31 or under you might be fine though.

Oh, you said you were a tight wad - well a lunch box won't go into a TrakLok carrier (if that is what you have now) - you need a regular Open carrier with stock dimensioned crosspin to put in a lunchbox.

I am running 31's and the current carrier is open.

The Dana TrackLok is no better than an open carrier. I've had several (not by choice) and they were virtually useless off road, except for the fact that if I wanted to install a lunch box locker, I had to replace the carrier. :-( I was under the impression that a new tracklok costs almost $500, but sounds like you have a source for less than that? Don't forget, if you install the tracklok, you have to reinstall the R&P, which isn't trivial. A lunchbox takes a couple of hours to install directly into the stock carrier. I love Truetrac's too, but yes, they are expensive.

If you are doing the install, cut back on the beers for a a week or two, and buy a Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip. More traction than a clutch type LS, same good manners, never wears out.

I would like to add some of my findings on the subject. I am going to try and go this route as a local Jeeper has a track lock out of an XJ 44 that they are willing to give me for free. Rebuilding them can be a bit of a pain but I tracked down a digital copy of the service manual that walks through the rebuild. I also found there are two different rebuild clutch packs for these limited slip units. One is a standard smooth engagement, and one is called a powerlock clutch pack. The powerlock clutch pack, from what I have read, is more aggressive than the smooth engagement. So the powerlock would probably be better for our offroad applications. I have the tracklock in my 8.25 right now, which needs an overhaul now after 227,000 miles, and it has been good to me. Yes, it is not a locker and a locker would be much much better, but the track lock to me isn't complete trash. Would I buy a brand new one? No, as it is quite pricey and for a couple hundred more you can have something like a detroit. But if you can get your hands on a used unit for free or next to nothing and buy a rebuild kit and throw the powerlock clutch pack in it for $100 bucks and you got yourself something better than an open diff that doesn't break the bank.

Keep in mind too that the Dana 44 has come in numerous vehicles and you might be able to find one outside of the Jeep community too.

So do some looking and see if you can pick up a used one and throw a new clutch pack in it.

If you are doing the install, cut back on the beers for a a week or two, and buy a Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip. More traction than a clutch type LS, same good manners, never wears out.

The TrueTrac in my 2001's 8.25 has nearly 80,000 miles on it and still feels the same as it did when new. Few clutch-type LSDs can make that claim.
Wish the clutch in the D30's POS ECTED had lasted half as long.

The TrueTrac in my 2001's 8.25 has nearly 80,000 miles on it and still feels the same as it did when new. Few clutch-type LSDs can make that claim.
Wish the clutch in the D30's POS ECTED had lasted half as long.

Did you do the Detroit TrueTrac install on your '01? I'm in limbo right now and have been reading all the 'locker' threads I can and trying to decide on either a posi/limited slip or lunchbox (Spartan/Aussie type) for my '01 and it's making my head spin... ha

Re: 8.25 Trakloc vs. TrueTrac

Well I'm about to do 4.56's and a TrueTrac in front - I really don't want to get back into the rear axle again so I am thinking about doing a TrueTrac out back also, but that will require replacing 27 spline axles to 29 spline for me ('91). That sure adds up fast! Goes from being under $2k out the door to $2800.

Right! So my relevant question here is: Does a properly working TrakLok bind and scrub tires when U-turning (on any surface seems like)??

Thx.

Did you do the Detroit TrueTrac install on your '01?
I had it installed but if you have to pick an axle to put a TrueTrac into, the 8.25 is the easiest, as long as you stick with the same gears.
Check back in a couple of months, I'm tooling up to regear my XJ and then my brother's.

Well I'm about to do 4.56's and a TrueTrac in front - I really don't want to get back into the rear axle again so I am thinking about doing a TrueTrac out back also, but that will require replacing 27 spline axles to 29 spline for me ('91). That sure adds up fast! Goes from being under $2k out the door to $2800.

Right! So my relevant question here is: Does a properly working TrakLok bind and scrub tires when U-turning (on any surface seems like)??

Thx.

My XJ came with the Track Lock in it since I got it with only 75,000 miles on it. It now has 227,000 miles. I have never had it bind when u-turning. You can feel the tires slightly scrubbing from the track lock wanting to equalize them but nothing terrible. It gets squirrelly in the rain if you hit the gas too hard especially when trying to pull out onto a street but thats easy to get over just not getting too into the skinny pedal. I just picked up a used track lock for my XJ Dana 44 I am planning to swap in from a local member who had a XJ Dana 44 with the Track Lock in it. He gave it to me for free since he was going to replace it anyways with an ARB. I know a locker would be way better but I don't have money for a locker right now and a PowerLock rebuild clutch pack for the Track Lock is $79.99 and I can rebuild it myself with the service manual I found on the web. So I will have some kind of traction aid which is better than an open diff, I don't think too many people would argue with that. Then Later down the road when I have some more money I can go to a full selectable locker.

i say search around and see if you can find a used one to rebuild.

My XJ came with the Track Lock in it since I got it with only 75,000 miles on it. It now has 227,000 miles. I have never had it bind when u-turning. You can feel the tires slightly scrubbing from the track lock wanting to equalize them but nothing terrible. It gets squirrelly in the rain if you hit the gas too hard especially when trying to pull out onto a street but thats easy to get over just not getting too into the skinny pedal...

i say search around and see if you can find a used one to rebuild.

Thanks Ben, that's good info. I think when they pull the rear pumkin we'll inspect the TrakLok and if clutches will make it sound I'll go there, if it's running "quicksilver" oil or shows excessive wear, I will probably replace it. Thx.

Back