• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Kit 1, 2, or 3

Restruction

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I am looking for the best lift kit for my 1989 Cherokee Pioneer 5 speed, I don't really care about ride quality as this is only a trail rig and a DD in the winter. The kits are as follows, I'd like to know whats the best for lift and what wont sag after 2 weeks of putting it on. I'm also looking for cost effective like whats the cheapest lift that will still be good?

Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Spring Pack Lift
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...its/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html

Iron Rock Off Road XJ 3" Lift Kit
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-X3LK&Category_Code=XLK

Rough Country Jeep XJ 3" Series II Suspension
http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3x.html

Now I have some concerns that goes for all of the lift kits.

First off the Rusty's Off Road Kit seems to be the most plain and basic and it seems to me like its missing some stuff. Am I right about that? Should I purchase the Rusty's Off Road Kit what else would I need to make it a complete kit?

The Iron Rock Off Road Kit it looks to be a full kit and instead of the add a leafs it comes with 3.5" rear leaf springs. Now this kit offers an SYE kit, Adjustable Track Bar, and Ect.. Is anymore of the selectable items needed? I don't know what I would need to make it a full kit. Would I need anything else because of the slight difference in height from the front size of 3" to the .5" difference of the 3.5" rear leaf springs like an SYE?

Rough Country's lift the XJ 3" Series II Suspension looks like it comes with everything but the hardware where would I get the hardware for the lift? It also comes with rear leaf springs which I like over the Add A Leaf's for the rear. Is there anything that I would need to make this Kit a complete kit and make it fit?

well, i give you credit for staying in the right range for a cheap budget lift.

ill give you 3 options for parts... cheap, complete, quality... pick 2. common knowledge is going to be to stay away from rustys. i cannot comment on any of the IRO kit. rough country is known for their great customer service.

have you checked with your local chapter or local forums to find parts? you could likely piece together a kit. for 3", id suggest lower control arms, springs, adjustable track bar, shocks, brake lines, Tcase drop, leafs, extended shackles, and rear brake line. you can get away without things like a SYE, but obviously the bigger the budget the better.

is it safe to assume from your other thread that you are looking to run 33s?

I would say do not buy the rustys, roughcountry is good for the money and if you have a problem they'll warrenty it. I dont know enough about the 3 inch IRO lift either.

Rustys bushings and shocks suck but sring rates are killer.No Idea on IRO,R C bushing suck stay away from the X-Flex joint also think about full leaf packs if your on stock 89 leafs a Addaleaf wont cut it.Also I would say go for Hydro shocks I have blown 2 pairs or Nitro shocks in a year then I got hydros and no looking back.

I have the IRO 3" kit and it's been awesome so far - I recommend it and it has everything you need to get on the trail. :thumbup:
I have not had one problem with it so far. But get the full leaf pack, forget the AAL. Some of the kit is pieced with RC - I know for sure that the shocks come from RC and I think a few other things, but not much (I can't recall exactly what though). If you do go with IRO, go get a Jeep magazine and in the back they have an ad with a code for 10% off your first purchase!

rough country may have great warrenty but honestly do you really feel like replacing parts multiple times?

Personally if your looking to stay in this price range I would say get the IRO kit with the upgraded leaf springs. If its the same as their larger spring packs its probly awesome, the come military wrapped and all.

From personal experience I've seen my buddies rough country kits do great on the trail but their bushings don't hold up and their leaf packs arent the greatest (or at least they USED to not be that great) Ya if your springs sag they will send you a replacement pack but I truly don't feel like replacing all these parts multiple times. After going on to my 2nd lift kit I say do it once do it right, I originally had a Fabtech 4 inch kit with short arms and an aal/shackle. It rode great but I found an amazing deal on a Rock Krawler 3 link long arm and never looked back. I didn't keep their leaf springs though, I kept my bastard pack that I made from a dakota pack with the additional extended shackles which eventually I'll add relocation brackets to it and call it complete.

If at all possible, I would recommend a pieced together lift. And DEFINITELY recommend Bilstein 5100/OME equivalent or better shocks. White rockets are white rockets, don't bother. Cheap, yes but you do get what you pay for.
If you piece together, depending on what you find, price should be about the same and better quality parts.

Why No Rubicon Express? :dunno:

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rubicon-express-re6020-superride-free-shocks-p-33.html

A little bit more expensive than the three listed but free shocks and higher quality. The only thing missing from the package is shims for the axle to angle the pinion correct.

I DD this suspension in my cherokee and have had it for three years now and have never had to go under the car to inspect the suspension components for maintenance. And I wheel hard. Bolt on and forget it. :yelclap:

for a "low budget 3 lift"- NOT A DD -...I would use:

used RE 3.5 coils ($80 aprox)
relocate the brake lines-$0...or chevy lines c/k 1500 $30 pair.
if not concerned with with stiff ride use your stock LCAs...or buy used adjustable lowers if want to enhance the ride ($120)
bastard leaf packs from the yj...$30...or an additional XJ leaf.
HD shackle relocation bracket $130
modify the rear brake line from its bracket. $0.
JK (rubicon) shocks, near new $50 set from your nearest offroad shop
tcase drop kit from the metal scrap pile..$0.

$300 to $450 tops.
my 0.02 cents

Hasta

I have a RC kit that I've wheeled for a year now that I'm happy with. I know it could be much better, but for the deal I got by calling up and asking for Jason, I'm very happy with my decision.

With that being said, if I had to buy a kit right now, I'd get a RE kit from serious in a heartbeat. 5% off and free shipping.

Remember if you cut corners now, you'll pay extra later. Make the extra effort to be thorough, and do it once and do it right. That was my plan, and I thought I did everything right, but didn't bumpstop. I just cut my fenders because they get smashed from ONE trip, and started rusting..

Back