• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difficult steering with no Return-to-Center - 2000 XJ

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
2000 XJ 4.0L AW4 bone stock. I am the second owner since 2004.

I currently also drive a 1987 XJ and have previously driven 1990, 1994 and 1996 4.0 XJs with the AW4.

This 2000 XJ has always taken more effort to steer than any of the previous ones mentioned. After I bought the car, I read somewhere that Chrysler purposly reduced the power assist on the last couple production years, but can't find that informaiton now; Can anybody confirm this? I put it in storage back in December until I got a chance to rebuild the motor (cracked head and piston). I got the motor done and want to put it back on the road.

While in storage the steering has become more difficult and I have lost all the Return-to-Center action. It is as hard to steer back to center as it is to do the initial turn. This makes it easy to over-correct and steer past center. I am thinking the RTC problem is the steering box and would appreciate those with experience in this area sharing your thoughts.

TIA

i had that issue with a steering box i had rebuilt by someone on this site. same exact thing. did someone adjust or open your gearbox? i backed off the backlash adjustment screw and it was better, but i think the box is garbage.

I bought the XJ when it was just off lease from an online auction. If anyone was inside the steering box, it would have been the dealership.

My first XJ had trouble steering and being stiff. Turned out the joints on the steering shaft were junk and seizing up, resulting in poor response.

Typical causes of stiff steering and/or lack of return is seized up u-joints and failed ball joints.

Typical causes of stiff steering and/or lack of return is seized up u-joints and failed ball joints.

True all above but check the alignment if you lifted it or if it's stock check for bent lower control arm brackets. If the alignment is off and the upper ball joints are further forward than the lower ones the outer C's have trouble centering esp. with a steering damper.

I have seen the bound steering shaft u-joints on my 1990 XJ and that was my first suspect. I disconnected the lower steering shaft from the steering box and verified the joints are good. The wheel turns freely (I know about the clock spring) with the shaft disconnected.

The lower control arms have less than 1000 miles on them and look new. The brackets are not bent. I have seen binding axle u-joints. There is an obvous jerky drive around turns and usually a noise. I don't have that. How can I check the ball joints for binding? Can I just disconnect the drag link and try turning the front wheel by hand?

Last edited:
My old 89 was much easier to steer with 33's than my 99 is all stock. When I first lifted the 89 it was hard to steer and wouldn't return to center, but when I got it aligned (caster was way off) and replaced the ball joints, it was gravy.

My daily driver is a bone stock 1996 2wd that does the same thing. I bought it with 100k and it's been the same since day one. Everything looks good, new steering, suspension, brakes, tires, etc.. it has no funny tire wear, and the alignment specs are right on. But if I crank the wheel, let go and hit the gas - it'll turn tight circles 'till it runs out of gas.
Only thing I haven't replaced are wheel bearings and ball joints. They were replaced just before I got it, but may be a crap brand. They look and act just fine during inspection.

You win the cigar Tim. I disconnected the TREs from each knuckle. The driver's side lower ball joint was so bound that I could hardly move the knuckle by hand. I now have new ball joints and the RTC is fine. However, the steering is still more difficult than my 1987 XJ, but a little easier than it was with the bound ball joints.

My daily driver is a bone stock 1996 2wd that does the same thing. I bought it with 100k and it's been the same since day one. Everything looks good, new steering, suspension, brakes, tires, etc.. it has no funny tire wear, and the alignment specs are right on. But if I crank the wheel, let go and hit the gas - it'll turn tight circles 'till it runs out of gas.
Only thing I haven't replaced are wheel bearings and ball joints. They were replaced just before I got it, but may be a crap brand. They look and act just fine during inspection.
I had just completed a state saftey inspection too. A safety inspection will not find a binding ball joint. They are only looking for worn (loose) ball joints. You may want to find some Spicer or Moog ball joints and replace yours. Spicer ball joints are currently on backorder and out of stock at Spicer. I found them on the shelf for a good price at East Coast Gear Supply.

Back