• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 242 output seal replacement

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
WTF chrysler?

so, I got the bellows thingy off, to find that the oil slinger (not sure why you need one after the seal) appears to be pressed on. I did not know this.

Looks like I'm going to be cutting it off, it's sunday, obviously I can't get a replacement.

I assume once I cut it off I can remove the tailshaft housing just like on my 231.

I don't think there's a problem with running it for a few days with the bellows off while I get a replacement slinger bit. Hell, I may not even get one, as the only purpose it seems to serve is protecting the seal. Givne that my 231 is 25 years old and doesn't have one, I think it would be alright without.

Thoughts, opinions?

It's nice that the new output will keep your fluid in if you drop the rear shaft, but it makes seal replacement a PITA.

so I got out the FSM.

Says to use a special puller to pull the slinger.

I'll try my regular 2/3 jaw puller, and after I f it up I'll cut it off.

I pretty much give 0 chance of pulling that slinger off after 11 years. It's rust welded.

2 jaw puller + air ratchet will make it come off.

it will not be reusable.

downsize-9.jpg

aaaaaaannnnnnndddddd

got the wrong seal.

thanks parts monkeys.

waiting on a ride to the parts store. Glad I looked at it before I took it all out. At least now I can put it back together and the wife can drive it to work tomorrow if they don't have the right one.

just ordering the right seal.
They can't get the oil slinger anyhow, so this project is on hold.
Also ordered the tailshaft bushing, because there's some play in there. Might as well do it all at once.

I stuck it all back together without the dust bellows. I greased the splines heavily, so hopefully they don't get nasty. Put a pop can around the tailshaft so it would stop throwing ATF onto the catalytic converter.

kastein said:
you like how you can't reuse the dust shield/slinger?

Part numbers you might want to order, from outside of case to inside -
4798 122 - metal clip holding dust boot to slip yoke (I use stainless steel zip ties from the home depot wiring aisle. this is a $10 or so clip from the dealer)
4798 123 - dust boot if needed
4798 121 - metal clip holding dust boot to output shaft (stainless steel zip tie again)
5016 615AA - dust slinger, presses onto shaft, aint that great?
J813 4488 - goofy little clips and stuff that keep the dust slinger from going too far down the shaft and hitting the seal
4798 117 - seal, you likely already have this
4798 116 - big snap ring behind seal, appears to hold bearing into output housing
J813 4488 (again) - clip that appears to hold the bearing onto the output shaft

Thanks Ken.

I just ordered most of that stuff.
I also included the tailshaft bushing.
J813 4490
I'm just going to take the tailshaft housing off and rebuild it back to the output bearing.

I'm going for another 200K of leak free operation.
I think eventually it will end up with a hack and tap anyway. It vibes, and I got a few front driveshafts handy as spares, but since it's got the new sealed output and stupid splines outside the case I'll end up keeping all this junk anyway.

I'd put a 231 in it with a mainshaft, but really like the full time for a DD Jeep in the winter.

I love that you're talking to yourself in OEM tech.

I searched and could not find a single thread about the output seals and the bushing here.

figured it was something that someone might need in the future.

which is why the thread title is search friendly.

that and I'm crazy.
but you knew that.

Back