• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found a broken shift fork pad in my t-case oil

skyb44

NAXJA Forum User
Drained and refilled the transfer case (np231, 90 cherokee, ax15) and found what appears to be a broken shift fork bushing.

I don't do basically ANY offroading at the moment. I probably will use the 4wd a few times this winter and that's about it.

How dire is this problem? I could probably trick some friends into helping me fix it, but school starts tomorrow and I really don't have much time to mess with jeep things.

the 4wd seems to work fine at the moment. both high and low ranges.

thanks guys.

If it's a pad you will wear down the fork as you run it, putting metal into the fluid. A bushing should have far less impact as nothing rides on it while driving.

Got a pic of the piece?

You can get a pad kit from Q-Tech for under $10.

Sure looks like a shift fork pad. If thats the case you have metal on metal rotating, it'll wear down that fork. I had the same issue when i opened up a 231 in my son's YJ... and it needed a new shift fork as well.

Heres the kit..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52219_0003.htm

You could pull the rear case half off and install the pads in a few hours.

That's of course assuming i don't let it go too long and trash the fork? thanks... I'll figure something out. It is wearing even in 2wd right?

If it's a pad you will wear down the fork as you run it, putting metal into the fluid. A bushing should have far less impact as nothing rides on it while driving.

Got a pic of the piece?

You can get a pad kit from Q-Tech for under $10.

Absolutely!!! My 1st XJ was a 85 Cherokee Chief. I did not know at the time about the little plastic fork clips. One of mine disintegrated. I would pull on the shifter and at first it would go in after several outings it would go in but kick out under load. Finally it would not stay engaged. I thought it was the linkage so I attempted to adjust it, but it still would kick out. I took the case apart and found the slide collar and gear had both tapered down perfectly to 1/2 width on each's respective teeth. They were worthless after replacing the clip, I ended up having to replace the collar and gear, so take care of it asap.

ok, so in the 6 months that i've owned this vehicle it has spent about 4 minutes in 4wd. mostly just messing around on a dirt road making sure it worked.

if i don't run it in 4wd much/at all how urgent is this? I put about 6-8k a year on this jeep.

Have you done a SYE yet? Plan on going taller? Now would be the perfect tome to do it if funds are available. Gonna be in there- might as well do it if you can.

yes, you can leave the t- case in the vehicle.

just pull the rear yoke, the rear C-clip, rear seal, the front yoke, front seal, the tailhousing, the oil pump, then the rear case half. once thats off you should be able to replace the shift pad and the put the t-case back together replacing the seals.

I recently did mine because mine actually would grind and not move in every gear but 4lo, so with that I imagine you need to put new ones on ASAP.

It wasn't that bad of a job. I actually didn't remove any of the front stuff, I pulled the back and was able to complete the job from there. You can use a pry bar on the shift fork rod and work the shifters out that way.

If you can afford it while you have it open you mid as well slap a new chain on as well.

Back