• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Hood scoop mods...

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I may or may not need to do some hood mods to my XJ hood. Upon a large variety of upgrades done under the hood, my new issue is my AC compressor is sticking up too far to close my hood. I found out I can apparently turn it 90 degrees, but that still may not help being that I have to use an adapter bracket to get it mounted correctly. In the event it is too tall, I am trying to come up with a few ideas for something to do to the hood to make it all fit. Best idea i have come up with so far is to find a factory hood that has a scoop, cut it up and weld it onto my hood, then cut out the "old" middle of my hood.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever run into these kind of issues before, and if so, what did you do? 2 things I should mention here, 1) AC removal is NOT an option, and 2) Whatever I do, it has to be weldable in some form or another, I will not have any fiberglass or plastic on this project.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paint

I'm not sure how you've got your comp hitting the hood now, but that's beside the point I suppose.

There used to be a company making steel cowl induction hoods for XJ's, they look pretty good but I don;t think they are available any longer unless another member knows the source

1322261492328480.jpg

Hmm, but may not have the clearance you need where you need it. Oh well it was a thought.

Why don't you shim the hood hinges so that the rear of the hood sticks up several inches?

That way when you have a front end collision, you can cut your own head off.

That only happens in the south, oh crap I meant lynchings. I did the spacer and I'm glade I did. I had hood vents, but the hood shim lowered the temp more for me. Now that the vents are there I can't fill them back in so I attached my new trans cooler with fan to the hood below the vents. I added a remote filter with a B&M temp gauge also. I haven't added trans fluid so therefore I haven't finished because I want to replace the oil and filter in the trans pan. Next week I'l finish it up and make a run on Sunday hopefully!

I'm not sure how you've got your comp hitting the hood now, but that's beside the point I suppose.

There used to be a company making steel cowl induction hoods for XJ's, they look pretty good but I don;t think they are available any longer unless another member knows the source

1322261492328480.jpg

Hmm, but may not have the clearance you need where you need it. Oh well it was a thought.
I did the alternator relocation using the upper YJ ac bracket, lower ZJ bracket and a 5.2L ZJ Alternator. Moved up the alternator, but because I am keeping my older, more reliable and larger ac compressor, with it even just sitting on the engine bracket, the hood is hitting, or at least it is sitting on the fittings. I have no radiator in at the moment (pissed about possibly having to replace it now too) so can see that it is hitting the hood through the front. I did read a writeup for a YJ ac conversion though, it uses the same compressor as I have, and they said you can turn it 90 degrees, which would put the fittings on the side possibly getting me just enough clearance. I still need an adapter bracket to get my compressor to mount to the new mount, which will add a little more height though. Once I get it, if it adds enough height that the rotation wouldn't work, than I'm just going to do some sort of hood scoop modification... Buying the bracket as soon as I get my paycheck deposited, bastards mailed it late AGAIN so got to wait till early next week...

I do remember seeing these once before, had a chance to buy one fairly cheap some time ago but had no need for it then lol. Figures. If anyone has any idea where one could be purchased, or someone selling one please let me know...

Why don't you shim the hood hinges so that the rear of the hood sticks up several inches?
I don't really want to do that, would just look bad, and I am planning to probably remove the hinges all together anyways and just use 4 hood pins. That may not happen yet, but it will be in the works for a later upgrade...

That only happens in the south, oh crap I meant lynchings. I did the spacer and I'm glade I did. I had hood vents, but the hood shim lowered the temp more for me. Now that the vents are there I can't fill them back in so I attached my new trans cooler with fan to the hood below the vents. I added a remote filter with a B&M temp gauge also. I haven't added trans fluid so therefore I haven't finished because I want to replace the oil and filter in the trans pan. Next week I'l finish it up and make a run on Sunday hopefully!
That is one more nice thing about a stick I suppose :) No trans cooler lol. I have thought about hood vents too, I figure at this point, if I have to completely redesign this portion of the build, might as well go all out for it lol.

On another note, my brother has a hood from a '96 firebird he parted out, thinking about taking the middle section of it, and "grafting" it onto my XJ hood.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Paint

Not sure what you mean. Unless where you're from lynching involves cutting your OWN head off. 'Round here we call that suicide.

Either way I'm "glade" your deathtrap of a hood works for you.

I want to hear this story where someone lost said head by a shimmed hood.

Has anyone ever seen someone decapitated by a hood?

I've ran hundreds of car wrecks over the years and have yet to see a hood do more than shear off a bolt on the hinge and then only after "folding like a taco."

And looking at the bodylines of the Jeep I can't see how, even if it weren't bolted to the hinges, how it would do anything but slide up the windshield...

That cowl induction hood is sick!!! Bet that cuts the underhood temps!

He must have seen my special order sheer bolts i put on and impact detoning blasting caps for emergency stops. I plated the hood & sharpend the edges for clean cuts. When I need a hair cut I raise the hood a little and let the fan air blow my hair across the edges for a flat top cut! Works good for slicing meat for sandwiches on the trail except once in awhile you get a hair in there!!

Last edited:
Graff it that would look good!
Thinking more and more I am going to see if I can get it to line up to try this. Got my adapter, and it adds almost an additional inch to the overall height of the compressor, so I am going to see if I can rotate the compressor 90 degrees so I don't need as high of a hood modification. I am also thinking I am going to keep the hinges. Convenience would be a nice thing when working in the engine bay, but there is just something about having the hood propped up that is just awesome lol. That and then I wouldn't need another person to put it on and off lol. Maybe will design some kind of "quick-disconnect" style setup, but for now pretty sure I'm just keeping the hinges as is...

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again all,

Paint

It's a stock hood with some cuts and sheet metal fillers.

Oh ok. I mainly need the lift part to be towards the front though to clear the compressor, so I don't think that method is going to work in my case. Might be worth a look though. I do have a replacement hood for the one on there now, so I suppose I could mess around with the old one, see what I could do to it to make it work, then do a "finish" version on the donor hood...

Paint

I think it could still work, the only issue would be the rear being a bit short but if you have the skill to fill in the sides fixing the back should be pretty easy.
Sure is cheaper than buying something.

Back