• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-4? to AX-15 swap help?

jblack'00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just recently aquired an AX-15 that I hope to swap into my '87 Comanche.

A little info:
1987 Jeep Comanche- 2.5L I4; 4 speed, AX-4 Transmission(?); 2wd; SWB
Purchased 2wd AX-15

I know nothing about drivetrain swaps, motors or trannys. Ive never removed a transmission, changed a clutch, nothing. Do have some wrenching experience: head gasket, rear main, other bolt-on mods, etc.

Im assuming that Ill probably need a different bell housing, transmission mount maybe, flywheel? I have no idea.

Please almighty and all-knowing gurus, shed some light here for me:anon:

Not directly - the engine bellhousing pattern is different between the 6-242 an 4-150 - the 4-150 uses the GM "Metric V6" pattern (like the 2.8/3.1/3.4L,) while the 6-242 uses the AMC I6/V8 pattern.

This doesn't mean it can't be done - I don't know if the bellhousing proper will swap between the AX-15 and AX-4/5, but that would simplify things.

Apart from that, I'm sure an adapter plate can be fabricated, I just don't know the particulars to make that happen.

The AX-4/5 "is" a decent transmission (the AX-4 is a four-speed used behind four-cylinder engines, the AX-5 is an AX-4 with overdrive added...) and I believe the ratios are similar. Is there any specific reason you want swap the one gearbox for the other?

you can get a bellhousing off a 96-98 4cyl Dodge Dakota. The Dakota 4 cyl had the same bolt pattern as your 2.5 and they used an a-15 instead of an ax-5/4 because it was in a heavier duty application.

you can get a bellhousing off a 96-98 4cyl Dodge Dakota. The Dakota 4 cyl had the same bolt pattern as your 2.5 and they used an a-15 instead of an ax-5/4 because it was in a heavier duty application.

Forgot about that - the Dakota used the AMC four for a little while...

Not directly - the engine bellhousing pattern is different between the 6-242 an 4-150 - the 4-150 uses the GM "Metric V6" pattern (like the 2.8/3.1/3.4L,) while the 6-242 uses the AMC I6/V8 pattern.

Is there any specific reason you want swap the one gearbox for the other?

Pardon my ignorance, what exactly does "6-242" and "4-150" stand for?

I just want a 5-spd trans. The MJ is completely stock at the moment, I just feel like the its revving out a little too much on the interstate and high speeds. Itll just be nice to have an overdrive.

You can also get an adapter from Advanced Adapters.

Its spendy but once you add up the parts for the Dakota swap its not bad.unless you want to take the time to gather the parts and try to find deals you might be better off buying a kit.

Out of curiosity what's the AX15 out of?

So besides a new bell housing, what else will be needed to complete this swap? What "kit" are you referring to?

Im not entirely sure what jeep it is out of. I believe I can assume its out of an XJ, got from a guy in state off of CF. I Pm'd him to see if he might know.

I just want a 5-spd trans. The MJ is completely stock at the moment, I just feel like the its revving out a little too much on the interstate and high speeds. Itll just be nice to have an overdrive.

So besides a new bell housing, what else will be needed to complete this swap? What "kit" are you referring to?

Im not entirely sure what jeep it is out of. I believe I can assume its out of an XJ, got from a guy in state off of CF. I Pm'd him to see if he might know.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/

can help you.

otherwise you'll need all the bits from a dakota truck with a 4 cyl and an AX-15.

Those are motors... the '6-242' being our beloved straight 6, 242cid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_straight-6_engine

Ahh :facepalm: Makes sense now... Thanks for the clarification.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/

can help you.

otherwise you'll need all the bits from a dakota truck with a 4 cyl and an AX-15.

What are all the "bits" you are referring to? And whats this Ive read about internal/external slave cylinders?

I contacted the PO and he pulled the trans from a '92 XJ

Ahh :facepalm: Makes sense now... Thanks for the clarification.

What are all the "bits" you are referring to? And whats this Ive read about internal/external slave cylinders?

I contacted the PO and he pulled the trans from a '92 XJ

those are the bits I'm talking about.

If you go dakota route you'll need to source a clutch that will work with your 2.5L flywheel and a dakota bellhousing on an XJ AX-15.
You;ll need an external or internal slave depending on what bellhousing you get.

I've never done it, I can't tell you, you're not going to get a comprehensive list unless you start taking it apart and putting it together.

which is why I suggest you call advance adapters, because they can help you.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I need to find out which of the two (internal/external) would be a better choice.

exernal if available.

that way when the slave fails you don't have to split the trans from the motor to get at it. it also doesn't leak fluid all over your clutch.

True. I aquired the AX-15 mostly based on impulse.. Pretty much went GO.Ready.Set. Im just fed up with the AX-4 and its leaking pretty good so I just need it gone.

Standardised nomenclature for the engines - "6-242" being an inline six-cylinder, 242ci nominal displacement. "4-150" being an inline four cylinder, 150ci nominal displacement. Other examples:

H4-1300 - the 1300c/c nominal horizontally-opposed four-cylinder found in Volkswagens
V8-350 - the (now-legendary) Chevrolet V8 engine, 350ci nominal displacement (it's interesting to note, however, that every American automaker in the 1960's and 1970's produced a 350ci V8 - except AMC. AMC, however, did have a V8-327 they inherited from Kaiser...)
F6-161 - early Willys/Jeep engine - inline six cylinder, F-head design, 161ci nominal displacement. One valve in the engine block, one in the head.
L4-134 - essentially, the first Jeep engine (again by Willys.) Four cylinders inline, 134 nominal CID, flat head engine (that's what the "L" means.) Both valves are in the engine block.

If the location of the valves isn't called out (by a preceding "L" or "F",) it may be assumed you're talking about an overhead valve engine. An overhead camshaft engine will usually have "OHC," "SOHC," or "DOHC" appended (as in 6-230 OHC, which is the old Kaiser-built 230ci "Tornado" engine from the early 1960's.) "OHC" is often used either for early overhead camshaft engines or for when there are no variations - "SOHC" means "Single OverHead Cam" (one stick per head) and "DOHC" refers to "Double OverHead Cam" - two sticks per head. For instance, my wife's 2005 Suzuki Verona is powered by a 6-2500 DOHC (inline six-cylinder, 2500c/c nominal displacements, double - or dual - overhead camshafts.)

It looks complex at first, but it becomes natural with only a little effort - and it's a fairly universally-understood format.

I did this swap a few years ago. IIRC you'll need:
  • a bronze pilot bushing from Advanced Adapters (their site specs it for a 4.0 to NV4500 I think)
  • a clutch disc from an '86 4-cyl 4 speed camaro (NAPA part # RCF4198 9 1/8" OD with 1 1/8x10 spline)
and I don't remember the rest. I used this thread back when I did my swap.

Last edited:
I did this swap a few years ago. IIRC you'll need:
  • a bronze pilot bushing from Advanced Adapters (their site specs it for a 4.0 to NV4500 I think)
  • a clutch disc from an '86 4-cyl 4 speed camaro (NAPA part # RCF4198 9 1/8" OD with 1 1/8x10 spline)
and I don't remember the rest. I used this thread back when I did my swap.

Yea that is what I was about to link..... Same thread I looked at when I was considering it. Then I found a $200 xj in a field.... with a 4.0.... So I sold the Dakota BH and went a different route.

You can actually get the entire transmission out of a 4cyl 96+ Dakota iirc. I know a Jeep 23 spline NP231 will bolt right onto a 4x4 5-speed Dakota transmission.

There is one at my local yard right now, if the engine wasn't full of water and the trans 2wd I would have already pulled the entire drivetrain for two different friends who asked me to keep an eye out for parts.

You will possibly need to change driveshaft lengths, and this is an external slave bellhousing, but an external slave setup is something I'd recommend upgrading to anyways. The very first time you have to screw around with the slave cylinder it's worth all the pain of changing over to it in the first place, especially since you have to do all the heavy lifting to swap the bellhousing and trans anyways.

Back