• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86-99 axle swap

MattK99

NAXJA Forum User
I have th oppourtunity to swap a set of geared and locked axles out of an 87 into my 99. If I make the purchase, I would be taking the shafts, hubs and rotors from my 99 and transplanting them, but what I'm wondering, and haven't been able to find an answer to, is are the calipers transferable? The built axles are a really good deal, but do need brakes and, mine has fairly new brakes so just trying to figure out if I can save myself some money.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks Tim, looked through there before posting, wasn't quite sure about the calipers themselves. Doesn't look like the swap is going to be doable for other reasons now, but thanks again for the info.

Matt

rotors must match unit bearings

calipers must match knuckles.

I had a 97 axle with 99 style hubs and rotors with 87 knucles and calipers for years. It all worked fine.
You'll want to pop the balljoints and just swap the entire knuckle from your axle to the new one, then all of your brake stuff will work.

Back