• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission ?

Tobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is this hose on my transfer case is it a breather or is there fluid that goes threw it it's on a 92 xj auto trans thanks
5164173d.jpg

Is there a chance fluid can come out of I did not hook it up I forgot to on the one I put in and now I got fluid all over the cross member not sure if it's a seal or that hose ?

Yes there is a chance.. Could also be the tcase input shaft to trans output seal. There are 3 different length input shafts for the np231. Short, Med (rare occasions), and Long. If your trans requires a long tcase shaft and you put in a tcase with a med or short. The seal is not mating and sealing the trans properly.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

Is that the tcase you put in?

Last edited:
It was out of a94 if that's the case that it's a different shaft is there a seal that I can get to compasate or just go to a different shaft

If thats the one you took out... My guess is the might have two dif input lengths causing them to bottom out on one another not sealing properly. Before i pulled it all apart, I would connect the breather correctly and run to under the hood, Power wash underside of XJ, and look for signs of where its leaking from. Without knowing the length of input gear, Its really hard to say where it leaking from at this point.

If indeed the shaft is the problem. There is no adapter to fix it. Correct length shaft is needed. Could also be a bad tcase input seal, or you damaged the trans output seal while installing the tcase.

What was the 231 out of? 94', Manual? Auto?

After really reading this that link again.... Looks like POST 90's with AW4 have a med shaft. (Your 242 has this.) If your 231 came out of a manual. It will have the "long" shaft.

Last edited:
94 auto
58c90802.jpg

From this I think it's the wrong shaft the trans is wet but not t/c I wonder if I seal the mating surfaces from trans and t/c with silicon ?

90+ "should" have same input gears.. The only way to know for sure is to pull it again and measure them both. But not seeing any fluid on the tcase is odd. The two mating surfaces is where it should be leaking from. Connect breather and wash. Could be that simple. Sealing the tran/case suface will not fix the problem

What fluid did you put in the tcase?

Back